New generation cards....

phinix

Gawd
I'm a bit confused now - what will be the new generation cards from both camps?

As far as I remember ATI will have new cards before the end of the year, is that correct? Wil those be around 2x better than 5 series? Like new single chip be almost as fast as 5970?

How about NVIDIA? I don't understand what is goig on with this GTX460 - is it based on new die-shrinked "Fermi 2" ? Will there be new die-shirnked GTX480? Any news about dual chip cards except that Galaxy dual GTX470?

All-in-one. It'll be so powerful you wont even need a CPU or RAM. :p

In a nut shell:

ATi:

High-end: HD 5970

Mid-high: HD 5870

Mid: 5850/5770

nVidia:

High-end (currently): GTX 480

Mid: GTX 470/465

I'm still waiting for ATI's next batch. I've given up on them fixing the GSOD issues with the 5870.

In a nut shell:

ATi:

High-end: HD 5970

Mid-high: HD 5870

Mid: 5850/5770

nVidia:

High-end (currently): GTX 480

Mid: GTX 470/465

Yep, I know those, but I asked about next generation, new ones that supposed to come out at end of this year.
Just wanted to see some sum up...

ATI is going to have a 40nm part called Southern Islands expected later this year. I expect it to be labeled as the 6xxx series, but that is just my guess.

As for Nvidia, given the troubles they've had in making their 3 billion transistor part at 40nm, they might just wait until they can do a die shrink, which means that we might only see a 512sp part and thats about it. Even then, I think Nvidia has said they have no plans for respin of Fermi, so the GTX 480 might only get a clock speed bump and not much else.

But TSMC won't have 28nm until 2011 iirc.

I haven't even heard a rumor of next gen ATi performance.

I think it's safe to say that if you're waiting for the next big jump, you better get comfortable with what you have. It's going to be a long time.

When the rumours about Southern Islands having taped out happened in Feb/March I think it was, there were also rumours saying it was mainly an improvement in tessellation and not much in regular performance.

I still haven't seen the GSOD issue, I guess I am lucky. Has GSOD been ruled a motherboard issue or a card issue? Kinda curious, since I will want to watch what I purchase for my next system.

I'm a bit confused now - what will be the new generation cards from both camps?

As far as I remember ATI will have new cards before the end of the year, is that correct? Wil those be around 2x better than 5 series? Like new single chip be almost as fast as 5970?

How about NVIDIA? I don't understand what is goig on with this GTX460 - is it based on new die-shrinked "Fermi 2" ? Will there be new die-shirnked GTX480? Any news about dual chip cards except that Galaxy dual GTX470?
I doubt that the cards coming out in December will be 2x, considering that they will still be on 40nm, they will not want to push it that far up. My guess what be closer to 30-40%. Lets not even talk about next gen Nvidia cards, don't think I have even read one rumor on them.

I doubt that the cards coming out in December will be 2x, considering that they will still be on 40nm, they will not want to push it that far up. My guess what be closer to 30-40%. Lets not even talk about next gen Nvidia cards, don't think I have even read one rumor on them.

This is pretty much what I have heard and expect.

Honestly, a 5870 + 40% more performance + 2nd generation Eyefinity with hopefully improved crossfire support (now that its a main feature and not a super secret pet project) is something I would totally buy. I would be all over it, especially if it was packing 2gb of VRAM.

I still haven't seen the GSOD issue, I guess I am lucky. Has GSOD been ruled a motherboard issue or a card issue? Kinda curious, since I will want to watch what I purchase for my next system.

I don't know that they've nailed it down to one thing. People experience varying results using various solutions. My situations has improved with drivers, but not been eliminated.

Best of my knowledge, it has little if anything to do with the motherboard. Consumers across all chipsets are experiencing it. Whether OC'ing or not also seems to have little impact (though some). For me it happens no matter what game, old or new. DX11 does seem to increase its frequency, DX9 games are rarely a problem. This is also been the case for me on more then one of my machines, plus after a reformat, so that rules out almost all conflicts. That only leaves the card and/or drivers. I have read of several doing RMA's and still having the issue, so I'm blaming the drivers. That said, they do seem to be working on it,albeit slowly. :rolleyes:

So GTX485 is soon to be launched.
Any news on refreshed ATI 5 series - Northern Islands?

So GTX485 is soon to be launched.

That is FUD. The next Nvidia part that will be coming out is GF104, ie 460/455 models. Nvidia badly needs something to compete with the 5770 and 5750 at the midrange and lower price points.

The only 'higher performance' part to expect would be the galaxy dual 470 board, but who knows when it will actually hit production.

Any news on refreshed ATI 5 series - Northern Islands?

Southern Isles is coming out later in 2010 on current 40nm process. Northern isles won't come out until 2011 and I expect it to be on 28nm process considering the news I've read about Global Foundries and TMSC.

Because TSMC's 32nm process bombed any cards coming out this fall will still be on 40nm. As a result you shouldn't expect more than incremental improvements on the ATI side (2x faster needs a die shrink); nVidia could get a fairly large kick because their initial design had a lot of problems with the TSMC 40nm process.

Still nothing about new generation cards.. I wish we could hear something soon to come, at least at the end of this year.

Yep, I know those, but I asked about next generation, new ones that supposed to come out at end of this year.
Just wanted to see some sum up...

I'm probably being overly optimistic but since theyve been in development since last year I wanna say

ATi

High-end = 5970 equivalent, but single GPU

Mid-range = around or short of a GTX480

Low-range = efficient 5870 equivalent

Nvidia

Hooboy couldn't even tell you. They've been so up and down. I couldn't even say they'll have another generation out this year. More likely to see a couple rebadges, gimps, and nice Notebook/Netbook chips. If they actually came out with a new line I'd be really surprised.

Looking at that past of Nvidia lines I'd fully expect them to ride the year out on the GTX460/470 variety. I won't discount the idea however remote, of them putting out an unlocked or special edition of the GTX480.

Back