New gaming system proc help

Gauvain

Limp Gawd
I'm helping one of my mates build (see: I'm building) a new system. What socket is AMD on right now? Is it even worth it for a gaming box to use a A64? Or is the XP really still the processor of choice?

Thanks

oh yeah A64 is the best cpu for gaming right now, it's defnitely worth it....AMD has a 754 and 939 socket for the A64 out right now. 939 is very expensive right now, so i'd go with a 754socket A64 and an nforce3-250 motherboard, whatever is in his price range.

Hey AMD T-Type:

What do you like about those Epox boards, mostly i hear people screaming for MSI or Asus, and I haven't heard much about Epox?

edit: btw, in my opinion the athlon 64 3200+ is the way to go. Gets you the full 1 mb cache (versus the 512k on the 3000+), and you can overclock it to the 3400+. And the 3400+ is almost as fast as the FX-51

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc1

CodeWaste said:
Hey AMD T-Type:

What do you like about those Epox boards, mostly i hear people screaming for MSI or Asus, and I haven't heard much about Epox?

edit: btw, in my opinion the athlon 64 3200+ is the way to go. Gets you the full 1 mb cache (versus the 512k on the 3000+), and you can overclock it to the 3400+. And the 3400+ is almost as fast as the FX-51

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc1

1) mainly experience, and the PCI/AGP lock on the board for better OC ability

2) depending on if he wants to OC or not, i would get the Newcastle 3200+ w/ 512 cache

Yes there is a 3200+ new castle now which is clocked 200mhz higher then the clawhammer. I think any of the nforce250 boards have pci/agp lock now. I personally would stay away from epox but that is me. I tend to be an Abit fan myself.

Shieze said:
Yes there is a 3200+ new castle now which is clocked 200mhz higher then the clawhammer. I think any of the nforce250 boards have pci/agp lock now. I personally would stay away from epox but that is me. I tend to be an Abit fan myself.

I'm not saying the Abit isn't a good board

But i have heard nothing but good things of the EPoX, also, yes the new nforce3 250's are "supposed" to have pci/agp lock, but epox's IS locked whereas it seems some people have had problems with the locks on some other boards

Shieze said:

I'll be damned. which one do you think would be the better performer? I can't find any reviews.

edit: the two different 3200+'s i mean

Aren't there still some hardware and software compatibilty issues with the Athlon64's? And besides, what is the real ETA of any 64bit desktop software?

Gauvain said:
Aren't there still some hardware and software compatibilty issues with the Athlon64's?

one word...NO ....still?...have there ever been compatibility issues? why would there be and where ever you heard that from you were greatly misinformed. Maybe with 64bit software due to the lack of drivers.

And besides, what is the real ETA of any 64bit desktop software?

that's besides the point...you don't just buy an A64 because it can run 64bit Apps. You buy one because it can run 32bit Apps faster than any other cpu that is out right now. I think you've missed the point of why most people are buying one.

We set him up with a Gigabyte K8 NS Pro. Havn't had time to do much testing, but looks like a nice board. Definitely a nice set of extras.

Also got a A64 2800+. Using that stock HSF...but what is that TIM that they have on the bottom? It's not standard tape, and it's softer than most of the waxy stuff that intel uses. It's also gray.

2x512 Mushkin
K8 NS Pro NF3 250
A64 2800+
ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
120gb 8meg Maxtor
MGE ECO L5 snazzy lookin cheap case. Very thin
BTC 52X CD burner 16x DVD reader

That's the fun part...now for the software....<sigh>

Gauvain said:
Aren't there still some hardware and software compatibilty issues with the Athlon64's? And besides, what is the real ETA of any 64bit desktop software?

rofl, thanks for the laugh

i needed that :D

Back