New Gaming Rig

nertil1

Limp Gawd
Hi guys. This rig is for gaming and web surfing

Here is what I have so far based on some recent posts

Fractal Design Define R4 with Window (NE)
Intel Core i5 4690K LGA 1150 3.5 GHz Processor (MC)
Cooler Master Seidon 120V liquid CPU cooler (MC)
SAPPHIRE 100363-4L Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 CrossFireX Support Video Card Tri-X OC version (NE)
Crucial MX100 Series 256GB SATA 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (MC)
WD Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD10EZEX (MC)
MSI Z97-Gaming 5 1150ATX Intel Motherboard (MC)
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (MC) (MC)
CORSAIR CXM series CX750M 750W (NE)
ASUS VE247H 23.6" Widescreen LED Monitor (MC)

I've indicated next to the part where I found it (Newegg of Microcenter). I would prefer to buy everything from Microcenter since I have one close by. The total for these came to $1,244 w/o tax.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
No more than 1300

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Michigan

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? Case, CPU, CPU Cooler, GPU, SSD, HDD, MOBO, Ram, PSU and Monitor

CPU, CPU Cooler, Mobo, Ram, PSU, Case

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Keyboard and Mouse

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
No monitor

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? Crossfire or SLI, SATA, etc. Not too picky here

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, 64bit

Looks like a solid build. You can always add another 280x in the future to stay with "the times" and continue to enjoy gaming for a long time to come.

Ditch that PSU. There is no good reason to get that PSU considering that your power needs aren't that high. If they were that high, then it would not be a smart idea to get that 750W since whatever is causing that high power usage is going to be expensive. So why trust expensive parts to a budget PSU? So I recommend this PSU instead:
$87 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU

Besides that, you're more or less ok,

So why trust expensive parts to a budget PSU?

There is nothing wrong with that PSU aside from the Bronze efficiency (which it does due to the lowered down parts). It's based on a good platform that is Gold capable. You're just looking at the CX and assuming that it's weak.

But yeah, the G-550 you posted is the better PSU.

There is nothing wrong with that PSU aside from the Bronze efficiency (which it does due to the lowered down parts). It's based on a good platform that is Gold capable. You're just looking at the CX and assuming that it's weak.
No I'm looking at the "M" part. Traditionally, Corsair's -M series PSUs are of lower quality than their non -M counterparts.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/15/corsair_cs550m_550w_power_supply_review/
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/02/07/corsair_enthusiast_series_modular_power_supply_review/
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=366
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=261
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=254

Adding modular cables generally adds to the cost of a PSU by about $15 to $20. So Corsair had to have dropped the quality of the CXM in order for it to close the price gap.

That's honestly nonsense. The only thing "M" adds is modularity. Corsair doesn't decrease the quality of the unit to make up for the price difference that comes from modularity.

EDIT: And what gold capable platform is the CX-M series based on? I'm not seeing any similarities with Corsair's Gold rated PSU brands.

It's based on CWT's PUQ platform used on Corsair's Gaming Series units.

That's honestly nonsense. The only thing "M" adds is modularity. Corsair doesn't decrease the quality of the unit to make up for the price difference that comes from modularity.
Did you not read the reviews for the CSM and TX-M that I posted?
It's based on CWT's PUQ platform used on Corsair's Gaming Series units.
Ahh.

Ditch that PSU. There is no good reason to get that PSU considering that your power needs aren't that high. If they were that high, then it would not be a smart idea to get that 750W since whatever is causing that high power usage is going to be expensive. So why trust expensive parts to a budget PSU? So I recommend this PSU instead:
$87 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU

Besides that, you're more or less ok,

More or less? Is there anything else that you can recommend? The 550W will handle the components?

Did you not read the reviews for the CSM and TX-M that I posted?

I didn't, because the links you posted are completely irrelevant to the unit posted in the OP. Also, you've shown nothing that proves your statement of Corsair's M named modular units being worse than their non-M counterparts.

The 550W will handle the components?

With ease.

More or less? Is there anything else that you can recommend?
Personally, I'd go with the Samsung 840 Evo 250GB and a R9 280X from XFX, Gigabyte, MSI, or Asus.

The 550W will handle the components?
Yes.
I didn't, because the links you posted are completely irrelevant to the unit posted in the OP. Also, you've shown nothing that proves your statement of Corsair's M named modular units being worse than their non-M counterparts.
If you had read the reviews, the TX-550M and the TX-750M were found to be inferior to the Corsair TX550 and TX750 series PSUs.

If you had read the reviews, the TX-550M and the TX-750M were found to be inferior to the Corsair TX550 and TX750 series PSUs.

There is no TX550, there is only the TX-550M. As for the TX750, it has nothing to do with TX-750M, so your statement is clearly false.

I say keep the 750W for future proofing. You will appreciate having it when you add the second GPU.

Personally, I'd go with the Samsung 840 Evo 250GB and a R9 280X from XFX, Gigabyte, MSI, or Asus.

Any links you can provide for the XFX? Is there an issue with the Sapphire that I chose or is it just the other are better bang for the buck?

There is no TX550, there is only the TX-550M. As for the TX750, it has nothing to do with TX-750M, so your statement is clearly false.
My mistake. There is however, the VX550 which is pretty much a TX550 in all but name. The TX750 and the TX-750M share similar model names and part of similar Corsair's brands.
Any links you can provide for the XFX? Is there an issue with the Sapphire that I chose or is it just the other are better bang for the buck?
I prefer to have longer warranties on my video card. The Sapphire only has a two year warranty whereas XFX, Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte have three year warranties.,

Back