New ESX Box - What parts to salvage from PE2950

My Dell Poweredge 2950 that I got for free for a home lab crapped out on me. Everything seems to work but the motherboard so I am trying to figure out what is worth salvaging.

Perc 5i
6x 73GB SAS 10k
4x 2GB DDR2 FB-Dimm
Xeon Woodcrest 5160 socket 771

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should try to transplant this stuff into another server setup or if I should just buy consumer grade stuff for cheap and be done with it. Any help appreciated.

My Dell Poweredge 2950 that I got for free for a home lab crapped out on me. Everything seems to work but the motherboard so I am trying to figure out what is worth salvaging.

Perc 5i
6x 73GB SAS 10k
4x 2GB DDR2 FB-Dimm
Xeon Woodcrest 5160 socket 771

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should try to transplant this stuff into another server setup or if I should just buy consumer grade stuff for cheap and be done with it. Any help appreciated.

how did you determine that the main board is dead ?

Actually I know it isn't but I don't know what the heck is going on with the thing.

It's a long story but here are the cliff notes:

Server worked fine
2 System Fans Stopped spinning
No POST, after several attempts PSU 1 Died
More attempts to POST, no luck
Ordered and installed new motherboard
PSU 2 Died with loud pop (all within a week)
Returned to original motherboard, ordered PSU.
Removed all unnecessary components, server POSTs (all 4 system fans don't work)
Added all components back one by one, server boots to ESX fine but all 4 system fans refuse to work in any configuration.

Actually I know it isn't but I don't know what the heck is going on with the thing.

It's a long story but here are the cliff notes:

Server worked fine
2 System Fans Stopped spinning
No POST, after several attempts PSU 1 Died
More attempts to POST, no luck
Ordered and installed new motherboard
PSU 2 Died with loud pop (all within a week)
Returned to original motherboard, ordered PSU.
Removed all unnecessary components, server POSTs (all 4 system fans don't work)
Added all components back one by one, server boots to ESX fine but all 4 system fans refuse to work in any configuration.

Bios update, then check to see if there is power at each fan pinout ? Those fans are the 4-8 pin wired ones i think and are hotswap too..

Yup they are hotswap. Tried the BIOS update already, no luck. Do you know off hand which pins I would expect to get power out of?

Back