New Egg dead pixel policy

NeoNemesis

2[H]4U
Whats the deal with New Egg's policy that there needs to be 8 dead pixels for you to rma a lcd monitor? I don't know much about lcd's having used crt's all my life, but it seems to me that if there is something broken on my new monitor that negatively impacts the display even a little then they should replace the damn thing.

This whole dead pixel thing goes back to the first Apple laptops. They were notorious for bad screens, and Apple came up with the idea of counting the pixels before they would replace the units. Apple has a history of doing squirrelly shit, but it is too bad that other companies do it too these days. Newegg has to recover their money, and they are most likely following the manufacturers' requirements for getting credit for defective merchandise. Blame Apple, not Newegg.

Apple may be to blame for starting it, I really don't know anything about that. But the fact that a 'reputable' supplier has that kind of policy makes me want to shop somewhere else.

NeoNemesis said:
Apple may be to blame for starting it, I really don't know anything about that. But the fact that a 'reputable' supplier has that kind of policy makes me want to shop somewhere else.

All new egg is doing is quoting the manufactures warrantee. The exact same policy they apply to every other product they sell.

I think their return polices are second to none. Take for instance the “Referbished” section of their web site. Who the hell ever heard of a refurbished CPU? All that is is people abusing the policy. Some idiot couldn’t over clock his CPU enough and then wants it exchanged, or they didn’t get the stepping they “thought” they should get and want another one.

How many refurbished monitors do you see on NewEgg? Damn few if any. They must be doing something right.

No manufacture guarantees “NO” dead pixels, why should a reseller? That’s sort of like a new car dealer promising you that ‘YOUR” new car will never break or need repairs.

Customer abuse in retail is what keeps prices so high.

Wait a second, I'm not saying that getting a dead pixel on a 2 or 3 year old monitor is necessarily a reason to return it, what I'm saying is that when you buy a brand new monitor it should be free of defect and you should be allowed to return it if it isnt.

Right, but it isn't Newegg's fault. They are only doing what is necessary for them to do in order to get their money back from the manufacturer.

Talk to the manufacturer or just RMA repair it. My experience with New Egg is if you RMA repair something they usually just give you a full refund or a new one.

It is a fine deal, a few dead pixels even thogh the monitor not being perfect it is still not a defective monitor. Now Newegg is a very small company to somthing like dell where you can just return it. If everybody returned every lcd that had 1-3 dead or stuck lcds the prices would be alot higher then they are now. There are other companies that have 0 dead pixel policies such as Phillips, Princeton, Planar and Hitachi all have 0 dead pixel policy. so even if its just one it is unexceptable and you will get a replacemenet. But you say these brands really dont make all around the best LCDs so you want a 2001fp or 710T or a Hp 23". Just buy from Dell.com, Monitorsdirect.com and upgrade source I have only heard good things ablout/ Dell.com is the overall best becouse they wont make you pay fro shipping back to them

NeoNemesis said:
Wait a second, I'm not saying that getting a dead pixel on a 2 or 3 year old monitor is necessarily a reason to return it, what I'm saying is that when you buy a brand new monitor it should be free of defect and you should be allowed to return it if it isnt.

Because of the manufacturing tech... if all lcds had to have no dead pixels... expect about 2-3x price boost across all models.

It is very hard for them to get the yield high on monitors... i saw somewhere that viewsonic sends out monitors with 15+ dead pixels. and about 20% of all the monitors sent out have some defect in them....

My vp201 has 1 dead pixel somewhat of a screen door effect (but I don't care about it) and no back lighting issue. Would I love a perfect one, sure, but it just isnt going to happen till they get better yeilds. Viewsonics return policy for a 20inch lcd is 10 bright or dark (any combo of them) to be dead before you can return it. So, newegg with 8 dead, is actually offering you better then viewsonics policy on these size monitors.

well thats the reason why i would order an lcd from monitorsdirect.com or dell... any dead pixels and you can return it..

but how dot hey deal with that then? lets say you have 1 dead pixel and you return it.. do they try to sell it again till someone can put up with that 1 pixel?

as someone who has sold lcd panels (almost exclusively), there is no way that you'll ever get a warranty for a zero dead-pixel panel.

i am unable to return, for example, a < 8 dead pixel panel to HP directly...however, you can call them, complain and usually get a replacement....that being said, the last 5 L2335 LCD's i sold were flawless.

:)

anyhow....

cheers,

dave

companies like dell and monitors direct dont make monet from consumers they make it from business contracts/ The sell indeviduals the products at there business prices which lets say samsung sell to them but they have a better return policy with the manufacturer they also do take the chance of loosing money,

dave_graham said:
as someone who has sold lcd panels (almost exclusively), there is no way that you'll ever get a warranty for a zero dead-pixel panel.

i am unable to return, for example, a < 8 dead pixel panel to HP directly...however, you can call them, complain and usually get a replacement....that being said, the last 5 L2335 LCD's i sold were flawless.

:)

anyhow....

cheers,

dave

Amen on that.

What most people (customers) don’t get is a dealer is constrained by “knowing” what the manufacture’s policy is. The true power after the sale is almost always in the customer’s hands. Assuming your dealing with a truly reputable manufacture it is absolutely amazing what a really polite phone call can accomplish. Note the word “polite”.

I have seen some crazy stuff in my over 30 years in the business. Mitsubishi buying back a 5-year-old TV because no parts were available. Sony (a very hard core company) paying for warrantee repairs after refusing to pay the dealer under any circumstances etc.

As a rule, yell at a rep, you get dick. Be totally polite, courteous and “understanding of the manufactures position” sometimes gets you miracles. Can’t promise that every time but I have seen customers get stuff I would not have the guts to ask for.

Sales is tough, being a good customer can sometimes be a bit harder ;)

Back