New display, recommendations?

Tup3x

[H]ard|Gawd
My brother is looking to buy a new display. Currently he has Acer H223HQ which I gave to him. He wants something that doesn't look like shit (I have to admit that it's rather poor, especially dark tones look horrible and saturation sucks which makes Skyrim look like shit; there's a reason I switched. :p).

Here's what he wants:
- Good image quality and viewing angles.
- Fast enough for gaming (it's mostly meant for gaming).
- Good stand (tilt, height etc.). Although height adjust isn't must have if the display is great otherwise.
- 23"-24" 1920x1080.
- 75Hz support would be a nice plus.
- Must not be glossy but must not be grainy as hell either.
- <300 €.

So, suggestions?

Eizo 2333 might be a good option --

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/foris/fs2333/

I don't believe it has 75Hz support and not so sure the stand has height adjustment, but it should be decent for gaming. It'll have a light or semiglossy coating, so not too heavy, but not glossy either.

Other options would be Lightboost TN monitors, where you are trading off color accuracy and angles for better motion.

I've thought about that but it goes over the budget quite a bit. I don't think he is willing to go above 300 €. His current display is 2ms one but this time it should be image quality over über fast response time.

It may depend on what part of the world your friend is in. I thought I have seen it for less than 300 euros in some places.

In the US, I think it's around $400 or so.

ASUS VG23AH probably fits the bill. A bit glossier than the Foris but still semi-gloss AG. Not as fast, not as expensive either ($185.00 US). Great image quality. Again, not as good as the Eizo but pretty stellar. I just got the Asus and it has 76Hz support and was a good unit based on the reports of unhappy backlight bleeding. Only small amount in lower left corner only visible in dark scenes. The Foris does not have over 60Hz support. I will be keeping the Asus as a backup or second test monitor but it is not replacing the Eizo as primary. If I didn't have the fs2333 I'd be using the Asus even with the slightly present grey lines. It hit many high points.
NCX has a great all accounts review of it you should check out (posted up by him prior to me hitting the button:)

Anyone want a used NEC 20WMGX2? Still has some life left and I'll let it go real cheap. Too many display's for my place:( I'll even profile it for you with i1 Pro.

Asus vg23ah as others said, and it's IPS with passive 3D and 76hz

Last edited:
ASUS VG23AH does seem like the best alternative. Here in Funland that Eizo is around 330 &#8364; cheapest and that Asus around 270 &#8364; (Assembly demo unit goes for 199 &#8364; though but since it's used...).

Here are some other candidates:
Asus MX239H (AH-IPS but stand isn't as flexible but if it's better otherwise... What I've read, people seems to like it a lot. Also judging by the specs, it looks like 75Hz could be doable.)
Samsung S24C750P (WVA LED, no idea how fast this is - probably not fast enough)
ASUS PB238Q

Though at the moment ASUS VG23AH seems to be the best bet indeed - after all, it does meet all the requirements. The talk about grey lines is a bit worrying tho. That Eizo is an option if they do not add humongous shipping cost (ordering from Fnatic site). Asus MX239H looks like a nice deal too.

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward suggesting Asus MX239H for him. Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

The coating is grainy (lighter than aggressive ag) and the inner black bezel is so dark it makes the displays blacks look grayish. I'd pick the vx23770 since the Asus's bezel color clashes with most pc peripherals and they are essentially the same performance wise overclock.ru has reviews.

vx23770? Google didn't help, lol:
googyis98.png

EDIT: I assume it's vx2370? Seems to go for 172,90 &#8364;, they claim it's 7ms. According to that Russian test, it might actually be slower than the Asus and seemed to score worse in other areas.

If it's same or even lighter than on Fujitsu P23T-6P, then it's fine (in that case it's going to be lighter than what he currently has). He also did say that he does not want to see his own reflection.

Now I'm also starting to wonder when NEC EA234WMi-BK would be available here... that would be sweet monitor if it's under 300 &#8364; for sure. Maybe he should wait a bit?

Last edited:
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bro just received it and I had chance to take a look.

What can I say? It's awesome. Basically no black light bleed and gradients are awesome; black levels seems good too. Gradients and dark tones are on par with my Fujitsu P23T-6P. It does 75Hz no problem and it is fast, faster than my Fujitsu when overdrive is enabled (every review has tested it with overdrive disabled, it's enabled in video mode but can be tricked to work in office mode too). It's fastest IPS screen I've ever seen (though, I haven't seen THAT many). It looks best when you set tracefree to 40 (default was 60). The coating is less aggressive than on my Fujitsu, I'd say that it is the sweet spot. I'm quite impressed, massive upgrade over Acer H223HQ picture quality wise.

The negative stuff:
Menu buttons, lack of VESA mount possibility and no height adjust let alone pivot.

Last edited:
Back