New CPU

Fort_Major

Limp Gawd
If I'm loking to get an Intel Chip, is it safe to assume that I'll want to go with a 930 series chip until Conroe comes out? Intel seems to have pushed alot of different numbers and series around and I'm a tad confused as to where everything is going. I want an upgrade path to Conroe preferably using the ASUS P5WD2-E motherboard and am wondering what would be a sweet chip to tide me over till this fall when Conroe comes out and the prices drop and availability increases.

Really don't know what to think of your post.

Fact conroe will be available in July and it will be available at that time in retail. How fast stock sells out is another story. To ans your question Buy the cheapest Intel dual core you can get and O/C it. Also wait just a little longer for M/B should be some interesting boards appearing in the next 30 days.

$BangforThe$ said:
Really don't know what to think of your post.

Fact conroe will be available in July and it will be available at that time in retail. How fast stock sells out is another story. To ans your question Buy the chipest Intel dual core you can get and O/C it. Also wait just a little longer for M/B should be some interesting boards appearing in the next 30 days.
Interesting in what ways? Supporting Conroe? the P5 does that? Standard Faster FSBs then 1066?

To clear things up I was wondering whether it was worth going with a
D 950
D 940
D 930

I assume going down the Yonah Socket 478 is a dead end pathway for migration to Conroe?

Better SB and 1333 FSB also Abit for one and others have yet to release the 975 chipset M/B for Conroe . I would wait. Asus will no doubt introduce a Dream conroe M/B . I don't care for DFI but they should be coming with some interesting super tweacker for Conroe.

Also look for some very good chipsets from SIS and ATI . I haven't mentioned NV chipsets because NV refuses to open Sli up to other chipsets I say F*ck NV.

Fort_Major said:
To clear things up I was wondering whether it was worth going with a
D 950
D 940
D 930

I assume going down the Yonah Socket 478 is a dead end pathway for migration to Conroe?

Thats correct but Merom is in the game also and they will interchange.

yeah. I wondered about that. I'm really going for a beefy hardcore system that's capable of handling Development/Server/Virtual Machine related tasks. I assume that I would be better served by 930 and Conroe down the line and follow the Merom path for my dream laptop/tablet?

$BangforThe$ said:
Better SB and 1333 FSB also Abit for one and others have yet to release the 975 chipset M/B for Conroe . I would wait. Asus will no doubt introduce a Dream conroe M/B . I don't care for DFI but they should be coming with some interesting super tweacker for Conroe.

Also look for some very good chipsets from SIS and ATI . I haven't mentioned NV chipsets because NV refuses to open Sli up to other chipsets I say F*ck NV.
Hmm 1333 FSB. Grrrr. i wonder if that's almost worth waiting for. I have a few questions regarding PCI-E bandwidth. Not sure where I should direct those to.

I don't believe we will see 32 lane PCI-E until Dec 2006 on intel chipsets. who knows could be sooner.

Fort_Major said:
yeah. I wondered about that. I'm really going for a beefy hardcore system that's capable of handling Development/Server/Virtual Machine related tasks. I assume that I would be better served by 930 and Conroe down the line and follow the Merom path for my dream laptop/tablet?

merom is scary fast so it would more than power a top notch desktop system

Conroe is a bit faster Clock for clock. Again I wouldn't jump on any M/B right now for either die.

The only motherboard you can get RIGHT now that WILL definitely support conroe is the Intel BadAxe 975 rev 304 motherboard.

But since it has limited overclocking abilities you might want to wait.

You could drop a 920 in there, and change FSB from 800 to 1066 and clock would go from 2.8Ghz stock to 3.73Ghz (965 EE speed!) And most are doing it with stock voltage so that might be your best bet. Then upgrade to Conroe when it comes out.

I know my 920 hit 3.73Ghz at stock voltage EASILY. In fact it hit up to 3.9Ghz easily.... then I had to start adding voltage around 3.94Ghz to get up to 4Ghz.

a 930 with good RAM and motherboard will get you good overclock. You can go spend your money on an Asus P5WD2-E, but I doubt it will support Conroe. Not till other revisions (unless there's some revision of the P5WD2-E that will support conroe) The Pentium D 930 will overclock to about 4ghz stable (at least). Cupholder2.0 gets somewhere around 4.5 on air. If you're on a P2//P3//P4 willamette, I'd spent on a cheap PD 930 system, but if you're on a P4 5xx or 6xx processor, then It wouldn't be worth it.

Hmm I was under the impression that that motherboard was one of 2 motherboards that was confirmed to support Conroe.

StealthyFish said:
Cupholder2.0 gets somewhere around 4.5 on air. If you're on a P2//P3//P4 willamette, I'd spent on a cheap PD 930 system, but if you're on a P4 5xx or 6xx processor, then It wouldn't be worth it.
I'm on an expensive as heck AMD XP 1800. I've put alot of money into the hardware over time. It's got a GF4, Xtasy RAdeon powering 3 monitors, 1.5 gb of ram, etc hard drives. The hardware is extremely old however and it's getting a tad tiresome. I am looking to make a huge jump, as I've used P4 3.2ghz and AMD 64 and I've seen numerous performance problems or not enough of a performance boost to justify throwing current hardware away. So I want to upgrade to a new system. I am just wondering whether I am going to have the pateince to wait several months for motherboards and memory and cpu prices to come down for what I would like.

Fort_Major said:
Hmm I was under the impression that that motherboard was one of 2 motherboards that was confirmed to support Conroe.

so far the P5WD2-E has not worked with the Conroe ES's floating around, not even with the latest BIOS.

The Intel BadAxe 975 motherboard rev304 does support it. Or the older rev 302 can be modded to support Conroe, if you've got a few caps + soldering skillz.

Seeing as how FAST Conroe seems to be, it would be worthwhile to get a motherboard that supports it. So you can upgrade later.

Back