new computer problems

808aznboy

n00b
I just put together my micro atx computer and I'm already having problems. When I turn the computer on it boots normally but then says that there is a cpu fan error, and tells me to press f1 to continue. When I look inside the case I can see that the fan is not spinning. This happens probably 90% of the time when I boot my computer. I have a sycthe shuriken and an ASUS P5Q-VM 775 G45/ICH10 if this helps. Another problem I have is that when my computer finally does boot and I get to the desktop, I cannot run steam. When I try to open it it either freeezes the whole computer or restarts it. I dont know if this is a steam problem or what but I am really confused. I am using windows vista 64bit and a pny 9800gt 1 gb vga. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wanna play left 4 dead!!

Was the cpu fan plugged into the 3 pin power connector on the mobo? Did you verify if the fan on that heatsink is not bad also? When you mean 90% of the time, do you mean sometimes it would spin but most times it doesn't?

Check the connection for the CPU fan.

Check the BIOS to make sure you see the cpu fan rpm

yes, it is plugged into the mobo. how do i check if the fan is bad? and yes sometimes it spins but some times it doesnt. I cant tell if theres anything different about the start up that makes it not spin. but i meant that sometimes the fan works fine and when it does, there is no cpu fan error message.

I believe so, also i noticed that when my cpu fan does not start up during the boot up, it will start to spin once I get into the vista load screen. but now when i try to load a game, left 4 dead, it changes resolutions but then freezes the whole computer.

Did you update your BIOS at all? most boards don't ship with the latest BIOS.

Back