New computer for my Mom.

• Thread starter Deleted member 88301
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88301

Hi, all. Just testing the waters.

My mom has an HP AiO from 2009. Actually, it was my Dad's first. But when he passed away I moved up here to take care of my Mom, and she got the computer. Some AMD 1.6 MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, etc.

It's starting to be a problem for her. Built in "N" Wi-Fi is slow, and drops several times a day. She has to use Wi-Fi because of the shitty ISP she has. She's paying for 60/10, and getting 17/5.

Anyways, she only needs the following from a computer:

Spotify
Internet browsing
Very light gaming

She could use an upgrade.

What I would love to get her:

i3, any i3 will be a huge upgrade.
MoBo to support the i3
8GB Ram
120GB SSD, it will blow her mind. I've tried to get her to try one.
Mid-tower case
A decent PSU.

Any kind of 1080p LCD. 1440x900 is just a really bad thing.

I'm not begging for anything. If you can quote me a good price, we can go from there. She will be paying for it.

Thanks!

W

There have been some good 250gb SSD deals here for $65-75 lately FYI.

r/hardwareswap probably has some good combos as well.

Hi, all. Just testing the waters.

My mom has an HP AiO from 2009. Actually, it was my Dad's first. But when he passed away I moved up here to take care of my Mom, and she got the computer. Some AMD 1.6 MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, etc.

It's starting to be a problem for her. Built in "N" Wi-Fi is slow, and drops several times a day. She has to use Wi-Fi because of the shitty ISP she has. She's paying for 60/10, and getting 17/5.

Anyways, she only needs the following from a computer:

Spotify
Internet browsing
Very light gaming

She could use an upgrade.

What I would love to get her:

i3, any i3 will be a huge upgrade.
MoBo to support the i3
8GB Ram
120GB SSD, it will blow her mind. I've tried to get her to try one.
Mid-tower case
A decent PSU.

Any kind of 1080p LCD. 1440x900 is just a really bad thing.

I'm not begging for anything. If you can quote me a good price, we can go from there. She will be paying for it.

Thanks!

W

I was in the same predicament recently.

Get this, Dell ultra small form factor PC, Core i5-4570T, 4GB RAM 320GB HDD Win7 Desktop for $150 and then just hunt for a cheap $35 128gb ssd.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optip...119135?hash=item3d57449b9f:g:rY4AAOSw-RhaaOC5

I bought the same thing, they're built like a rock and i5-4570T is a VERY Capable processor.

For $150 its a complete working PC.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
+1 for the ebay route and buying an SSD. You can get a solid system for less than $100 all in if you do some shopping. I bought a Lenovo M73 for $71.99 (i3 4130, 8GB DDR3, + 500GB HDD). I also bought an HP Prodesk 400 (i5 4670s, 8GB, + 500GB HDD) for $129.50. In that case, I sold the CPU, bought a G3220, installed Windows 10 as welll as realted software, and sold it to my coworker who didn't have a computer for $35 (My cost of the system). You can buy a 120GB SSD from Newegg when they're on sale for $34.99 and you're good to go. In all honesty, you're probably not going to buy parts cheaper than that unless someone is basically going to be giving it to you (considering the cause). Regardless of which way you choose to go I wish you the best with your search.

Kabylake Pentium (2 Core / 4 Thread like the old i3s), some H110, and even 4GB RAM will do great with an SSD... No need for a midtower.

I second the ebay route. I got a refurbished (with warranty) HP SFF PC for a buddies daughter for Xmas. It's a i5 2400 8GB RAM, Win 10 Pro, DVD drive, 500 GB HDD, and 22" 1080p monitor, mouse/keyboard. We paid $240 Canadian, so take a third or more off for expected US $. Added a higher end wif-fi card and a 128GB SSD. Use the HDD as Image backup and storage. Blasted it out with air (a must-do! They look brand new but have been used in an office and they often skip this on a refurbish), and it is quite the PC for the price.
One thing to keep in mind. If buying a Wi-Fi card for a SFF PC, make sure it includes dual mounting brackets for regular and SFF PC. Luckily mine did, but I didn't think about it at time of purchase.
If building new I would wait a month and get the new Ryzen APU. The quad core is going to be $99 on release, includes a very nice GPU which is the equivalent of a nice low end dGPU. The second gen MB's will be released at the same time, and as with the first gen, will have some great prices.

Thanks. But her funds are quite limited, Social Security. I'm doing what I can to help, but I'm a Vet, I only get so much a month myself.

OP, I see what you are after now. Your mistake was "NEW PC", so the advice that followed was based on that. Your looking for a [H] member to sell a PC at a good price. Correct?
I think everyone here is a bit confused on what you are asking for.
You do know your on [H]ARD OCP! RIGHT?
I still think you should checkout Ebay refurbished. Such deals with warranty. $200 can get you something quite nice w/monitor.

Got an i3 3220 system with 8gb and a 120gb samsung SSD in a small case, not really sff but smaller than matx with a 300w power supply. I could put a 610 gpu in it. $165 shipped? I can put w7 or 10 on it as well.

Let me know if you dont find a PC.
Shipping might kill the deal, but I have the following:

HP Pavilion 500-037cb Tower.
Looks the like tower in the pics here, but the ram and drive were changed.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hp-desktop/prod9820104.ip

• AMD Quad-Core A10-5700 Accelerated Processor with built in AMD Radeon™ HD 7660D Graphics.
    Has on-board wifi.
    I gotta check the ram, but I think it is 8GB (gotta check)
    I got it in a trade, put a 120GB SSD in it (Samsung 840 I think) and it was upgraded to Windows 10, buts its just a spare PC for me.
    I may even have a free older small LCD to toss in, VGA I think, but again, depends on shipping and your budget

However, if you are looking at the $150-$200 for a turn key system with LCD, I could probably make that work.
    All you would need would be a keyboard, mouse and speakers, and I may have those as well.

Anyway, just tossing that out.

I have been getting HP 8300 computers for about $25 on eBay the ultra small form factor. Add an I3 3225 for $25-30, 4GB (2×2) DDR3 SO-DIMMS for dirt cheap, a 128GB solid-state, and I've been getting them completely built for $125 or less. Best of luck.

Would it be possible to rip out the motherboard and put it in a regular at case and use a standard power supply and graphics card with these SFF systems?

Back