New comp is SLOOOOW.

mxs1030

n00b
My new rig is as follows:

A64 3000+ s939 @ 2.34GHZ
1GB OCZ PC3700 @ 260 FSB
Leadtek 6800GT @ 380/1100
Abit AV8 mobo

I'm only getting 16.6k in 3dmark01se, whereas my old 2500xp/9800pro combo got 19K. In 3Dmark03 my fps drops to single digits in some of the tests, something that should not be happening with a 6800GT. Grr.

Any suggestions?

Is this a fresh install of Win XP (Ie, has XP has been reinstalled since you've made any hardware upgrades, especially mobo/vid card)? Do you have all latest updates, drivers, etc. installed for Windows, the motherboard, video card, etc?

Just trying to get some ideas to start this thread off with :)

don't use 3dmark01 to guage 3d performance, its all cpu that program. Use 3dmark05 or actually play a game and youll see just how much faster it is :)

The games do run nice and fast, but somethings still amiss about my 3dmark scores. Games like doom3 and farcry run nicely @ 1280x1024, but CS ( NOT source ) drops below 75 fps at times. I have a feeling there is something wrong with my CPU.

I just reinstalled windows a couple days back, but I had a ati card running then. I have the latest bios for all my gear, for some reason the new bios in the AV8 do not allow you to change the multiplier.

I'll try another fresh install, thanks for the replies guys.

mxs1030 said:
The games do run nice and fast, but somethings still amiss about my 3dmark scores. Games like doom3 and farcry run nicely @ 1280x1024, but CS ( NOT source ) drops below 75 fps at times. I have a feeling there is something wrong with my CPU.

I just reinstalled windows a couple days back, but I had a ati card running then. I have the latest bios for all my gear, for some reason the new bios in the AV8 do not allow you to change the multiplier.

I'll try another fresh install, thanks for the replies guys.
run prime95 for 24hrs. if you get an error, there could be a problem (most likely w/ RAM or CPU)
if you get an error run memtest86 overnight. if it returns an error, start testing your RAM sticks individually for errors...if it doesn't return an error, then it's probably your CPU. RMA it.

The problem was fixed... for 3 hours, then it came back.

I forgot to install the VIA drivers, and after I did that my 3Dmark 01 score shot up from 16k -> 24k ( which is still a bit low ). Anyhow, all was going well and I had to reboot, upon rebooting.. BAM, barely 100fps constant in nature again, and to top it off I was going down to the 30s in doom 3. god I hate VIA.

My psu is a antec trupower 430w, this one never had a problem with the mobo.

mxs1030 said:
The problem was fixed... for 3 hours, then it came back.

I forgot to install the VIA drivers, and after I did that my 3Dmark 01 score shot up from 16k -> 24k ( which is still a bit low ). Anyhow, all was going well and I had to reboot, upon rebooting.. BAM, barely 100fps constant in nature again, and to top it off I was going down to the 30s in doom 3. god I hate VIA.

My psu is a antec trupower 430w, this one never had a problem with the mobo.
have you done as i said?

Back