New CM 690 - Which fans/mods?

Ensabahnur

n00b
After hearing tons of good stuff about the CM 690 on here, I've decided to pick one up for my new build instead of an Antec 900. So, to get the most out of this thing (as far as cooling is concerned), I was hoping to get some suggestions on fans and simple mods for the case (I plan to get a fan controller, so a high noise isn't too much of an issue when considering the fan dBA.). Thanks in advance!

scythe slip stream
they have various rpm's i use two of the 1900rpm ones on my rad at full blast i cant hear them with my headphones on then again i cant hear anything with them on lol

but the air flow is well worth it :D i think its rated at 36db at 1900rpm pushing 110cfm (give or take)

the 1600 and 1200 rpm models would do well also..

i got mine from directron.com but svc,newegg,tg,zfly,etc has them.. even petras..

Hmm, I may grab either some 1600's or 1900's, in that case, and keep them running a bit lower, then. I've heard some good things about those lately. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

remember, that this case will hold 4 140mm fans in it, so you can gain CFM with lower RPM that way too.

I wasn't aware the 690 could hold 140mm fans. Are you sure? Got a pic or source or something?

That could be a deciding factor for me.

-S

you can get two 140mm on top, two 140mm on left panel, one 140mm in front of power supply, one 120mm on back, and one 120mm up front.

I will personally recommend the Scythe Kaze Maru 140mm fans. I run 4x 500 rpm and 2x 1200 rpm models and they're absolutely silent.

Load that thing up with fans and cut out the stamped metal grills on the top and rear fan slots. Then get a dremel and remove the plastic grilling on the top and front. That'll reduce restriction and improve airflow.

I've also got a CM690 and I've been looking at figures from SPCR: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article832-page3.html#SS-H for the 1200rpm Jyuni/Slipstream (they are the same thing right?)

Scythe's quoted figures for the 1200rpm, 120mm Jyuni: 68.5CFM, 24dba @ 12v

Scythe's quoted figures for the 1200rpm, 140mm Maru: 61.3CFM 26.dba @ 12v

So unless anyone can present a 140mm that I can be fairly certain does better than 30CFM/21dba @ 7v (which I'm quoting from SPCR) at a similar price - it looks like Kaze Jyuni's for me.

A question of my own for the rest of you, has anyone swapped out Zalman ZM-F3's @ 7v for Jyuni's at @ 7v? I'd like to know the kind of difference in noise level I can expect.

Back