New cassette tape could hold 47 million songs

If this makes it to consumers, it would change a lot of things, I really hope it does however I think it will be uber expensive.

180TB is impressive. That kind of standard would actually be relevant for a while. It's going to be probably be at least a decade before we see a hard drive hit 100TB, and it will probably be solid state that does it.

Actually a tape will never be relevant for the consumer, it's not suitable to random accesses. However for backups it's great.

Are you saying a consumer doesn't do backups?

Consumers should backup and they could use tapes, I'd say the problem is the cost of tape drives is why you don't see very many consumers backup to tape. It's the reason I don't or else I would consider using tapes.

I think the % of consumers doing physical backups themselves is under 1%. But that's just a guess from my personal experience.

I think the % of consumers doing physical backups themselves is under 1%. But that's just a guess from my personal experience.

Yes. Especially since the industry has convinced them that iCloud, Carbonite, etc. is the way to go. People don't care that Target and others have had massive breaches exposing their money, they're never going to worry about their selfies and dog photos either.

I expect that the cost of the drive will be several thousand dollars making it impractical for almost all home consumers. And its not like they need to backup anywhere near this amount of data.

why would anyone need that much space?

At work I would be happy to have a tape drive that could store 100TB+ on a single tape. I would only need 4 tapes to have 4 backups of everything (instead of hundreds that I currently have). Although the cost of the drive would be way out of my budget.

Actually a tape will never be relevant for the consumer, it's not suitable to random accesses. However for backups it's great.

It is also subject to the previous reliability problems associated with mechanical playback and storage devices.
Homes are not sterile dust free environments where trained professionals will be handling it. It will be pretty expensive so this matters a lot more than previous cassettes/players.

There is no possibility of a portable device due to its size and there is little chance of a car player being made so its usefulness is vastly reduced.

It isnt analogue, so gives no potential benefit in that direction for audio.

A few TB hard drive is a much better solution for music storage.
If stored lossless in FLAC, an average song size would be around 60MB.
You can still store 16,000 songs on only a 1TB drive.

Back