new build (used gear), 2600K/Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, just power cycles...no beeps

alkemyst

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I am looking for a way to figure out what the bad component is in my new build. I have tried 3 different sets of ram by three different manufacturers to rule out memory. I don't have another CPU to test with.

I didn't see any bent pins, my heatsink and fans are mounted fine and working.

When I power it up it starts but then after 5-10 secs it power cycles. There are no LEDs on the MB to tell, and there are no POST beeps at all.

What's more likely a bad CPU or bad MB? All the capacitors look fine and I cannot see any physical damage/burnt traces on the MB.

I bought the combo on eBay back in early Feb, but couldn't test it first until early this March and then again today with a bunch of other RAM.

Å

have you tried clearing cmos or taking the cmos battery out? have you performed any recent bios updates to the motherboard?

I cleared the CMOS, one thing that may have happened was when I thought the PSU was turned off it power cycled as I jumped the CMOS. One thing I didn't try was the first two DIMM slots. I have been running on fumes working 60+ hour weeks on a urgent project.

I am debating to just buy a Z77 board and that would eliminate if I fried the BIOS.

try using one stick of ram in the first or second dimm slot. the only other thing to do is try another psu.

Is this build already in the case? Try taking it out and working on the bare board+parts to rule out case / standoff shorts.

I am swapping from an AMD 955 setup to this one in the same case. My PSU is solid. The motherboards are both gigabyte and the standoffs match. I am going to give it one last shot moving all the memory i have to the other ram slots.

Is the fan running? I had a same problem. The RAM was bad. Replaced it. Worked like a charm.

RAM is good, fan starts then stops. I switch back all the components to my AMD motherboard and everything works.

What else is in the system? GPU? HDD/SSD? Remove everything but the PSU, mobo/cpu/ram and try booting. As suggested, keep just a single RAM stick in. Try unplugging the PSU and pushing the power button, then clear CMOS and let it sit for a bit (better yet, take the battery out all together), plug everything back in and try booting. Make sure nothing else is plugged in, no USB devices, this includes mouse/KB and no front panel connections etc either.

Google also suggests this might be a common issue with this board. Lots of results for boot looping.

Back