New build! Please critique

rentay

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, Photoshop, Web Browsing
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$2500 - $3000 AUD
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Australia
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Motherboard, PSU, CPU, Graphics Cards, Ram, CPU cooler, SSD
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Silverstone TJ-07 and Razor Mouse/Keyboard, WD hdd
6) Will you be overclocking?
Somewhat
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Acer 24" Maximum resolution: 1920x1200
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In the next 1-2 weeks!
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
USB 3.0, SATA 6gb/s, SLi
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Hi all!

Below is my computer build! If you could critique it, I would be much appreciated!

CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K

Motherboard
Asus Maximus IV Extreme

Memory
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX580 Supeclocked 1.5gb (or should I opt for 3gb?)

Storage
OCZ Vertex 3 120gb

Powersupply
Silverstone 850w modular (or should I opt for Corsair/Seasonic?)

CPU Cooling
Corsair Series Hydro H80

Thanks! :D

Only 8gb with that build? Ram so cheap now days might as well bump that up to 16gb.

Drop the vertex 3 and go with something more reliable like an intel or crucial drive.

I would go with a seasonic psu because they are generally great quality.

You could save tons of money by dropping some of those items to the part just under them, like 2500k, gtx 570, cheaper mobo but that's up too you.

Which Silverstone 850W modular PSU are you talking about?

I'd ditch that Vertex 3 for the more reliable and better supported Crucial M4 128GB SSD. As for the motherboard, judging from your answers so far, that mobo seems overkill for your needs. This mobo should meet your needs just fine:
$195 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Intel Z68 ATX Motherboard

GPU wise, go for the 3GB version.

Unless you plan to go multi-monitor, or upgrade to a higher resolution one, you should be fine with the 1.5GB card. The 3GB ones are way overpriced, in my opinion you'd be better off with a 6970 2GB if you are worried about the VRAM.

Back