new build check

jetfire

Limp Gawd
not built a new pc in ten years so just need to make sure all this will work and fit ect.

Corsair Carbide Series Air 740
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
Intel Core i7 7820X Unlocked, Skylake X, 8 Core plus HyperThreading, 3.6GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo, Quad Channel DDR4, 28 PCI-E lanes
32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz
Corsair Hydro H115i cooler with dual SP140L fans. (280mm Rad check case compatibility)
8GB EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC ACX 3.0 V2, 1708MHz GPU, 2432 Cores, 8008MHz GDDR5 - GeForce GTX VR Ready
SilentCorsair RM650x, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS Gold - Single GPU
Braided Power Supply Cables
Silent500GB Samsung 960 Evo, PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, up to 3200MB/s Read, 1800MB/s Write, 330K IOPS

2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

£2924.16

it is £150 cheaper just for the parts but get 3 years warranty if built buy scan uk.

prices seem well high over here atm as the above has gone up over 100 quid since b4 Christmas:cry:

Last edited:
What's the purpose of build, because it's overkill for a gaming box. What's the display resolution? Planning to overclock?

4k 60hz and 2 1080 screens and want to edit 4k video and audio as my dual xeon system is maxed out every cpu and takes forever.

not to bothered about overclocking but can do it if i need to but like to keep it as stable as i can as need it to last at least 5 years at that price.

Why are you buying a super high end expensive board with no inclination to OC? Grab a mid-tier board which will do the job just fine. More expensive board doesn't automatically mean it will last longer. Given you already have an NVME SSD, I'd question the need for the SSHD as I've never really found them great for anything..

I feel like threadripper will suit your needs better? AMD? Is that on the table or are you intel only?

Do you actually need 4 NVME ssd's? Why not just get either 1x2tb or a couple of NVME and put the money into either standard sata SSD's or some hard drives. I'd get rid of that SSHD as well and get a 3tb mechanical drive for the same price.

Also got to 2nd the threadripper suggestion

ill have a look at thread ripper but do prefer intel tbh ill get rid of that sshd and see if i can get a 3-4 tb one instead.

i picked that board as it has 10gb on board and has options to overclock but never done it b4 as my server board dont support it but want it as a option on a new system as want to game on it as well.

i will over time fill all the nvme slots as want to move about 4k video files and for rendering 4k video and looks like the fastest option but at a high price.

i have the cash to spend now so might as well get the best i can for the money but everything seems overpriced in the uk.

I'll agree that everything is over priced in the UK, its taken me since black Friday to put the parts for my new rig together and I still need mobo and ram - have everything else now. Althoug

Scan have a 3tb WD blue for the same price, its a pity the black doesn't come in a 3tb version. I don't think you'll see much of a difference in speed if yyou have NVME for your os & apps and sata 2.5in SSD's for general storage.

ill have a look at thread ripper but do prefer intel tbh ill get rid of that sshd and see if i can get a 3-4 tb one instead.

i picked that board as it has 10gb on board and has options to overclock but never done it b4 as my server board dont support it but want it as a option on a new system as want to game on it as well.

i will over time fill all the nvme slots as want to move about 4k video files and for rendering 4k video and looks like the fastest option but at a high price.

i have the cash to spend now so might as well get the best i can for the money but everything seems overpriced in the uk.

'I have the cash to spend' doesn't mean you should. Lol. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu...l-m2-3-way-sli-crossfire-dual-gbe-wifi-usb-31 saves you money and does the same job. Will OC just fine. £377.99 vs £548.99. That's a fair chunk of cash. If you dial down a few notches on some other parts you may be able to squeeze out a better processor.. (7900x for example).

7900 is not a option atm as not in stock and when i add a 10gb card it is near the same price anyway as i thought buy now all boards would have it on board buy now lol

10GB isn't standard because the routers hubs cost a fortune. Do you have a 10GB network setup already you will be adding this PC too?

plan is to get a 10gb switch and the asus 10gb card and use the server i have now for network storage backup ect as it has dual xeon cpus and 24gb of ram and in a rack case i also have a 24 port netgear switch and a lot of wifi stuff as that needs upgrading as well to ac ubiquiti.

plan is to get a 10gb switch and the asus 10gb card and use the server i have now for network storage backup ect as it has dual xeon cpus and 24gb of ram and in a rack case i also have a 24 port netgear switch and a lot of wifi stuff as that needs upgrading as well to ac ubiquiti.
Is it worth it for how much you need to spend to get quicker storage access? You are over spending (IMO) on local storage, then doubling down on 10Gb. Sure 10Gb is a nice luxury, most don't care about speed when it comes down to mass file moves . Who cares if it takes longer for archive files to move in the background. And for reasonable file sizes it isn't like 1Gb is slow. Get better CPU (Thread-ripper) and or more RAM, and don't waste all that money on 10Gb which does little to nothing for your editing box that does %99 of the work.

well the 7900 cpu is not a option atm as not in stock but price wise it is £875.99 and 64gb of ram is £803.98 just seems well expensive esp for the ram as there like 100 quid each:(

well the 7900 cpu is not a option atm as not in stock but price wise it is £875.99 and 64gb of ram is £803.98 just seems well expensive esp for the ram as there like 100 quid each:(

DDR 4 production cannot keep up with demand, hence the price hikes. Additional capacity is supposed to be coming on line at some point but until it does I suspect that prices will only go up

well no way i can go to a 7900 and 64gb of ram but can just about manage this.

Corsair Carbide Series Air 740
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
Intel Core i7 7820X Unlocked, Skylake X, 8 Core plus HyperThreading, 3.6GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo, Quad Channel DDR4, 28 PCI-E lanes [Stock]
Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB with three ML120 fans
32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz
8GB EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC, 1708MHz GPU, 2432 Cores, 8000MHz GDDR5 - GeForce GTX VR Ready [Single card]
Corsair RM850x, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS Gold - Dual GPUs
Braided Power Supply Cables
500GB Samsung 960 Evo, PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, up to 3200MB/s Read, 1800MB/s Write, 330K IOPS
3TB Western Digital Blue, 64MB Cache
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

£3045.37

Back