New Battlemage Rumors

Blade-Runner

Supreme [H]ardness

If they put out a good card at a reasonable price, Id buy it and run it. I debated getting one of the current cards for a secondary rig at 1080p 🤔

I'll be kind of shocked if they pull this out of their ass, but I want to see it - pump that competition directly into my veins

The A770 is pretty stout for the price, I don't see why they can't scale it up. If anyone has the capability its Intel, but the drivers are going to be the most important. The other companies have had decades of refinement for higher end gaming.

I hope this happens, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, if they get to 4080 performance, it won't be half the price. My guess is that they'll pull an AMD and do 4080 - 10%, or 4080 - 15%. As much as we gamers want some competitor to come in and flood the market with cheap GPUs, it's not going to happen. My guess is that the suit in the room will look at the market, look at the benchmarks, and be like "dude, we're Intel, we're the best silicon company ever, no way we're going that low", because that's how Intel thinks.

I hope this happens, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, if they get to 4080 performance, it won't be half the price. My guess is that they'll pull an AMD and do 4080 - 10%, or 4080 - 15%. As much as we gamers want some competitor to come in and flood the market with cheap GPUs, it's not going to happen. My guess is that the suit in the room will look at the market, look at the benchmarks, and be like "dude, we're Intel, we're the best silicon company ever, no way we're going that low", because that's how Intel thinks.
I want to be hopeful and disagree but I can’t, because I’m not feeling that optimistic today.
But Intel’s been cockslapped around a lot lately they will need to resign themselves to the fact they are the serious underdog here and price like it. I don’t think 15% would be enough given their drivers, but half is too optimistic.

I want to be hopeful and disagree but I can’t, because I’m not feeling that optimistic today.
But Intel’s been cockslapped around a lot lately they will need to resign themselves to the fact they are the serious underdog here and price like it. I don’t think 15% would be enough given their drivers, but half is too optimistic.

Their drivers have come a long way with Arc to be fair, but they also know they can't sell Arc for a high price not only because of the driver inferiority, but also because it's simply markedly less powerful. They're competing on the middle to lower end right now, which really isn't a bad place to start out since most of the market plays there anyway and, to be honest, depending on your budget and use case, an Arc card might not be a bad purchase to make given the cost and the evolution of the drivers.

Still, I look at the CPU world, and Intel was behind Ryzen for quite some time by most measures and they still price like a market leader because...well...they're still the market leader. Being the market leader, they own a lot of the high volume OEM relationships, most notably with Dell. Consider the average Dell customer, and then consider Dell management. I can envision a scenario where Intel and Dell shake hands to promote their video cards, Dell salespeople get an incentive to move them, and Dell customers buy them because the Dell salesman says they're the coolest thing ever. Under such a scenario, Intel doesn't need to work particularly hard in order to generate a lot of sales of their GPU regardless of what an enthusiast identifies as "better".

Intel has the resources to make a great product, I'm just putting a possible scenario on the table.

Back