New AverMedia HDMI -> usb tuner

novadude

[H]ard|Gawd
Yep, you read that right. HDMI goes into the box, USB goes to the computer.
Think of it like the Hauppauge HDPVR but with HDMI rather than component inputs.
No pricing yet, but I'd hope with cablecard tuners being launched by all of their competition it will be priced reasonably.

link

Interesting product.

Says stereo audio only. I wonder if it will do 5.1 sound like the HD-PVR.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how the hdcp support works. Without hdcp its almost useless with hdmi.

It'll be interesting to see how the hdcp support works. Without hdcp its almost useless with hdmi.

Yeah, I looked at the press release for their pci-e hdmi card before lunch and it looks roughly the same so I'm revoking my enthusiasm for this product.

Pricing is $200, so without HDCP and 5.1 you would be much better off just getting the hauppauge.

Yeah, I looked at the press release for their pci-e hdmi card before lunch and it looks roughly the same so I'm revoking my enthusiasm for this product.

Pricing is $200, so without HDCP and 5.1 you would be much better off just getting the hauppauge.

Or maybe $50 more for Silicon Dust's dual CableCard tuner.

For those with cable. :p

We don't even have cable in my 1000+ unit condo development. Some sort of bullshit with Comcast. Which may actually be a good thing.

There is that option, but I do enjoy being able to load recordings onto a laptop before a trip or watching them on a system other than what I recorded it to in the first place. Plus as mentioned, you can't use that with satellite.

Technology is just getting more restrictive; I used to be able to take a cassette tape to any VCR and play it and I'd like the same to be true for my computers.

Back