New ATI/AMD Tuners

ND40oz

[H]F Junkie
Hadn't seen this posted yet, but the 650 looks pretty nice being PCIe with analog and digital tuners including support for QAM.

Link

AverMedia already has such a tuner out now. Not sure if it has QAM, whatever that is. AverMedia comes with MCE certified remote too. See my post about looking for TV Tuner card for more info.

So from what I understand is:

The ATI 650 card can receive both analog and digital at once, but record only one analog and one digital at the same time?

The avermedia card can do 2 analogs or 2 digitals, but not a digital and an analog at once?

The ATI 650 card can receive both analog and digital at once, but record only one analog and one digital at the same time?

The avermedia card can do 2 analogs or 2 digitals, but not a digital and an analog at once?

According to daily tech it can record both digital and analog at the same time, but yes, it only has on input of each. If you want to record two digital, just buy another, should have plenty of PCIe slots on your board. In XP MCE, you had to have a analog tuner, which is probably why they went this route. I don't believe Vista has this requirement.

The AverMedia M780 is the same, you use either analog or digital tuner to watch but you can record over either tuner. If you wanted to use two digital or two analog tuners you would have to buy another tuner card.

I'm sure there are others, but the Vbox Cat's Eye 150 is a true dual hybrid tuner, in that it can simulateously handle 2 ATSC feeds, 2 NTSC feeds, or 1 ATSC and 1 NTSC feed. No QAM though :-(

As some one else said it will let you record one SD and one HD signal at the same time now making it an actual real hybrid tuner like every other tuner that has been on the market for the last 6 months to a year.

It's just an update to the 650 tuner that should have been there in the first place.

I looked up QAM to see just what it is and although the AVerMedia Tuner card I just ordered has QAM I doubt it will be of any use to me up here in Canada. Would be nice if it worked for me but I'm pretty sure my cable company scambles the digital signals.

How about actually reading anything on what you've linked too, that card has been discussed before so maybe search it or something.

To cut the story short it's not what you think it is; the fact that it doesn't even do HDCP makes it worthless in an HTPC (not to mention the no software support among PVR apps too).

So yeah, you've got a long wait before any real HDMI cards show up. You've got a better chance of seeing CableCard tuners go DIY before you see an HDMI tuner.

Back