New Apple Cinema Display with 6800

rgbyhkr

n00b
I've searched through some of the threads and was wondering if anyone has paired a new 23" Apple Cinema dsiplay with a 6800 card yet? since they're both so new I figured the chance was low, but since that's the pairing I'm considering on my new PC, I just wanted to see if anyone had done it and how they liked the 2 together.

tornadotsunamilife said:
i want to see the 30" one. i want to see what a two dvi (needed) monitor looks like

Actually it requires 2 dual-link DVI inputs, which is a problem since no production card to date has this...

I'd be interested in how the 23" looks on a high end card too.

ehZn said:
Actually it requires 2 dual-link DVI inputs, which is a problem since no production card to date has this...

there saying it will work on the dual dvi 6800u

tornadotsunamilife said:
there saying it will work on the dual dvi 6800u

Which, the 23" or the 30"?

I could have sworn the 30" requires the double dual-link, and apple teamed up with nvidia to produce a 6800 specifically for their demonstration.

ehZn said:

It's packaged with a $600 custom-built-for-Apple Nvidia card. It's a 6800, but I don't know its other specs like clockspeed and such. It'll be available in August and is Mac-only. It's called the GeForce 6800 DDL. What I do know is I'd much rather have two 23" Cinedisplays for the price of a single 30" plus save money on the video card and still have a choice of what card that may be.

To answer the original thread poster, yes, the 23" one will work with a 6800. Why wouldn't it? It's actually easier with the new 23" displays because they don't use that retarded proprietary ADC; they switched back to DVI.

hey now, as a mac user with two apple 17" lcds (both with ADC) I can say first hand that ADC was a great idea. it isn't perfect, since the graphics card has to handle the power of the display, and no graphics cards made could have 2 adc ports, but, my dual G4 only has two power cables, one for the tower, and one for the DVI-ADC adapter for my 2nd display. ADC is only retarded to people who wished they could have an apple lcd and couldn't because of ADC.

swmooretiger said:
hey now, as a mac user with two apple 17" lcds (both with ADC) I can say first hand that ADC was a great idea. it isn't perfect, since the graphics card has to handle the power of the display, and no graphics cards made could have 2 adc ports, but, my dual G4 only has two power cables, one for the tower, and one for the DVI-ADC adapter for my 2nd display. ADC is only retarded to people who wished they could have an apple lcd and couldn't because of ADC.

Actually, I'm a mac user and I'll have to agree that ADC is a good concept, but it's hardly ideal. Having to use an external DVI to ADC with powersupply just sucks, and waiting longer to companies to develope graphics cards with an ADC port just sucks. I think most people are happy ADC is gone... besides, it only could support USB 1.1.

Back