New: AOL PC

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
www.aolpc.com

my fav part

Is this a high-performance system?
Yes. It features an Intel® 2.0 GHz Celeron® processor, 256MB of RAM, a 56K modem, 40GB hard drive, 10/100MB Ethernet and comes with Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition pre-loaded.

LOL, they want $99 more to add a CD burner and a 80gig hdd. You can go to the egg and buy those for $97 shipped, giving you a total of 2 optical drives and 120gbs of storage

good lord... i think my old 386 (with 14.4k external modem) might have a little fair competition here, lol...

:D :D

I was wondering about this last night. I heard news of this about a month ago, but I didn't actually think they were going to DO it.

obviously this computer doesn't attract the customers in particular in this board but the idea is smart, there is a huge market to win for ONLY internet pc which what this is...perfect for the grandparents and little kids that need something simple...not everyone are geeks and need the best !

$300 for a computer, monitor, printer, and WIN XP sp1? This will sell very nicely in competition with DELLS. Many non-tech people will buy this. Smart marketing move. They use cheap parts, but good enough for browsing the web. They even included a modem for dialup users :)

akapaulk said:
$300 for a computer, monitor, printer, and WIN XP sp1? This will sell very nicely in competition with DELLS. Many non-tech people will buy this. Smart marketing move. They use cheap parts, but good enough for browsing the web. They even included a modem for dialup users :)

don't forget you have to sign uo for 12 months of AOL at $23.90 a month, which compared to netzero at $9.95 is $167 more

I did a bit of looking, because the interface reminded me of Tiger Direct a bit too much, and found this which is very similar.

With all that that system provides, you could turn around and make a nice profit. That is, if it weren't for the evil that is the subscription to AOL.

Something I just thought of. That's worse than my 1999 Compaq Presario. Well..mine had 128MB of RAM, though.

And is it me or is 256MB RAM too little for XP?

I run 192MB of RAM on a P3 800MHz running XP Pro. With the right tweaks in all the right places, its nice and snappy.

CBR said:
I run 192MB of RAM on a P3 800MHz running XP Pro. With the right tweaks in all the right places, its nice and snappy.

Indeed, it can run nicely with less than 256 MB of RAM. AOL's won't be tweaked and thus it will run nice and crappy. I think that 256 is the min for win XP alone, nevermind the resource hog that AOL software is.

Hell AOL 9.0 takes over 50MB just its self. I have 256MB on my lab machines and one has AOL installed so my boss can check email. What a resorce hog. :rolleyes:

CrimandEvil said:
They should have used AOL CDs to make the case like that one guy. :)

Hahaha. Man that would be funny.

Do any of you guys still get those in the mail. I still get about 1 a week and they come in these metal cases.

I think I'm going to make a cd launcher and use aol cds for ammo. Or better yet I am going to put all the cds I get together and make a giant reflective beam and blind people that piss me off.

I get them atleast twice a month. Sort of feel bad since I always throw them away, hazardous waste should always be properly disposed of you know? ;)

I might start saving them and build a wall PC with them now, I could use a server. :D

i used one once as a really big washer for a bolt(sort of). warning: long post. skip if you don't like 'em.

see, i have this really big dog (scottish deerhound if you must know) named Gracie... she loves to run. her pen really ain't big enough but neither i nor Mother has had time to fix this for quite a while now. but if we just pull the fencing out, lord only knows where she'll go.

so the fencing around the pen pops open every so often, as it is held together by twist ties, rope, and whatever else is lying around when it needs fixing. at one point, there was this one big hole where the fence had pulled away from the house... so i string a washer onto this really long woodscrew (we never throw anything out it seems) and go to add another... both washers fall off in the process. so i get an idea.

i grab another washer and the aol cd that came in the mail earlier the same day. i put the washer on the bolt so that the cd will stay, i then grab the power screwdriver and screw the whole mess into the side of the house.

it's still there today, months after i put it in... best use of aol, in my opinion, since they suck up your bandwidth, sell your email address, and then wonder why your internet's going slow and your inbox is clogged with spam.

A friend of mine went to CompUSA because they have them there and there is a catch and is that if you want to pay the $299.99 that they're asking for you need to sign a contract for a yr. with aol dial-up and I believe is like $25.00. And that is the only way you can get the PC. :eek:

Man, I was actually happy for AOL to see they were being smart with their anti-virus/spam campaign... until they came up with the AOL PC... Okay...

I wish I could be their consultant or something. Someone has severe psycho maniac depression over there.

-J.

those may very well be the worst stats i have ever seen on any new computer

WTF was AOL thinking?????

baconsphere said:
those may very well be the worst stats i have ever seen on any new computer

WTF was AOL thinking?????

It would be hard to spec out a comparable computer for the price, even from newegg. 2ghz is more than any one AOL'er needs.

What is an AOL® Optimized PC?
This is a complete system (PC, monitor, keyboard, printer, accessories and pre-loaded software) that includes the AOL® 9.0 Optimized service and AOL® Office, powered by Sun.

Found this interesting, AOL Office? Star Office with AOL logos more likely. Still kind of cool that they provide an alternative to M$.

I know this thing is a POS throw away computer but that price can't be argued with... I mean you get everything, even the OS for $300... I mean you could make a half decent file server with it (have to put a larger hard drive in it of course). For what it is $300 seems like a steal. Just a year or so I saw someome who bought a P166 running windows 95, 14" monitor, inkjet printer, keyboard/mouse for the same amount haha. When you compare it to "deals" like that, it's actually not a bad value if AOL isn't locking you in to a term or something.

well... i guess you could buy the comp and then somehow accidentally delete aol... :D but you'd have to do a good bit of work removing their logo from absolutely everything...

EnderW said:
my fav part

It features an Intel® 2.0 GHz Celeron® processor, 256MB of RAM, a 56K modem, 40GB hard drive, 10/100MB Ethernet and comes with Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition pre-loaded.

You know the sad thing is, some kid is going to come into the fourms asking if he can overclock his AOL PC for M/\D MEGAHURTS11!!

my answer will be, and i quote,

707!!!!!!!!1111!1!1!!! n0+ w1+h 477 +h4+ 407 b704+w4r3 0n +h3r3!!!!!!!!111!!!11! y08r c0mp 1z 4z 1337 4z my 386 707!!!!!!11!!!1111!!!!!1!!!11!

Back