New 7800gs wont work-Monitor Dies

GregTombstone

Limp Gawd
My new 7800 GS dont want to work. Machine boots ok , gets thru windows log on screen and then monitor goes black with vertical lines about 25 mm apart, then shuts off. I try to switch on manually but it keeps shuting down. Works fine in VGA. put my 9600 back in to type this. Supplied drivers were 82 12 I think. seemed to install ok but on restart trouble starts. Card info says it needs a 350 watt PSU.

Mine is a Cheiftec PSU which is rated at 360 watt max and came preinstalled in Case. says 240 watt on 3.3 an 5 V and 220 on 12 V. My card is AGP version and has a power supply connecter on it which I attached. Am I under powered, is this why screen is going blank. I also made sure I had uninstalled previous hardware before installing new card and drivers ( now back in Box ) any Ideas. Cooling is not an issue as I have 3 case fans.

Help greatly appriciated

Gregorvich :confused:

You need to clean out all of your ATI drivers - I recommend Driver Cleaner...I think the lastest version may be 3.0 or 4.0. Uninstall NV drivers and then do a reinstall of your NV drivers using the latest from nVidia's web site.

Your PS may be marginal at best and I suspect is the culprit. I would replace with at least a 430 watt, name-brand PS.

Good luck!

Yea 350+ for a 7800GS.

I do have one running no problem in my Wifes old Dell 8300 I believe it has a 300w.

Thanks -Read the stickies on PSU going to get the calculator out, fan is spinning ok on 7800 so it is getting but maybe not enough power. My CPU is also over clocked although I dont know if that would have a big impact on power.

Finally sorted out my new Gs7800- turns out the enclosed drivers were shit 82.12 i think.

Updated My nforce drivers and got latest Nvidia Display Drivers- everything working great. Very good 2d and am going to try out all the games this evening.

Oh put in 500 watt psu just to be on the safe side.

Gregorvich
:)

Back