New 3d vision 2 monitor from BENQ XL2420TE

This is great news.
A LightBoost monitor with a PWM-free mode!
(Flicker free backlight (PWM-free) during non-LightBoost mode)

pcmonitors.info said:
Despite the backlight being ‘ZeroFlicker’ in its normal mode the monitor is fully compatible with Nvidia 3D Vision 2 which needs to ‘flicker’ (or strobe’) to work. LightBoost is a native feature required for Nvidia 3D Vision 2 certification so this should also be supported – good news for gamers who have discovered the blur reduction benefits of this in 2D as well.

So this is the correct trend for computer monitors.
1. PWM-free mode for eye-friendly general use (desktop, programming)
2. Strobe mode for motion-blur elimination use (games)

I was hoping they would try to lower the price to put pressure on the vg258qe

Anybody picked one of these up yet? Any thoughts?

I'm having a hard time finding more information about this monitor, aside from the link in OP's post.

Got one yesterday. I had tried an XL2420TX previously.

-no eye fatigue/headaches
-colors MUCH better
-WIDE dimming range

I am super super happy w/ it. One issue tho, the top 1/2 is dimmer than the bottom 1/2.

I'm thinking about upgrading (or downgrading?) my 1440p 27" IPS Auria EQ276W monitor to this for the 144Hz and lightboost since I play FPS games mostly and still reminisce of my CRT days with CS and Quake 3.

But... I'm hesitant because:
1. I know I'll lose image quality and desktop space.
2. The screen will be 3 inches smaller
3. I keep seeing people online saying if you aren't getting at least 120 FPS it's not worth it. Is this true? I have GTX 680s in SLI and if I play BF4 when my FPS drops to like 80 or something what happens? Lightboost doesn't work? Also on that note-- I see a lot of people saying your framerate gets cut in half with Vsync if it drops below 120, but doesn't triple buffering take care of that?

I see these great reviews raving about the lightboost monitors but I'm so used to the 1440p IPS and I don't know what to do.

Order one and try it out. Granted, I'm coming from SUPER LAGGY MOTION BLUR MINSTERS from 06, but the difference is mind blowing. It makes me a WAY better player. BF4 is a much better game on this panel. The black equalizer, as one Newegger puts it, "Makes enemies glow in the dark."

I'm not even using lightboost. ^_^

Order one and try it out. Granted, I'm coming from SUPER LAGGY MOTION BLUR MINSTERS from 06, but the difference is mind blowing. It makes me a WAY better player. BF4 is a much better game on this panel. The black equalizer, as one Newegger puts it, "Makes enemies glow in the dark."

I'm not even using lightboost. ^_^

Hmm lightboost is > than black equalizer in most cases, i wish you could have both.

I'm thinking about upgrading (or downgrading?) my 1440p 27" IPS Auria EQ276W monitor to this for the 144Hz and lightboost since I play FPS games mostly and still reminisce of my CRT days with CS and Quake 3.

But... I'm hesitant because:
1. I know I'll lose image quality and desktop space.
2. The screen will be 3 inches smaller
3. I keep seeing people online saying if you aren't getting at least 120 FPS it's not worth it. Is this true? I have GTX 680s in SLI and if I play BF4 when my FPS drops to like 80 or something what happens? Lightboost doesn't work? Also on that note-- I see a lot of people saying your framerate gets cut in half with Vsync if it drops below 120, but doesn't triple buffering take care of that?

I see these great reviews raving about the lightboost monitors but I'm so used to the 1440p IPS and I don't know what to do.

Triple buffering increases input lag by a lot. You're rendering frames ahead of time and just waiting to display them.

Haha, I'd never heard of this black equalizer thing before reading this thread. Amazing that they are actually building cheat modes into monitor firmware these days for 'gaming monitors'. Awesome.

LOL Cheats? It's hardly more than a gamma modification. You'll accomplish the same with turning your gamma up for the most part, however somehow the monitor does it while making the screen look "less" washed out. Doesn't eliminate washout just "less".

It all depends on how you look at it, but that said people have always been able to "cheat" or gain an advantage through hardware, this is one of the things most console players are oblivious too, the sort hardware advantages. You can calibrate a monitor or TV to be accurate, or you can change the look up table to accentuate certain colors or increase contrast etc... Then their is sound, who doesn't know of someone who would carefully equalize their sound to make foot steps or important sounds in the game louder than others sounds.

Hmm lightboost is > than black equalizer in most cases, i wish you could have both.

Does BE stop working w/ LB?

I haven't tried LB yet because:

a. I'm concerned my eyeballs would go berserk w/ the strobing and would hate to have "ridden the rainbow" and then be relegated to "viewing the rainbow" from a far. :(

b. Vega said the TE suffers from some serious IQ issues in LB mode.

I'm coming from a 7 yr old IPS, so the jump to 144hz TN is enough for me. I'm sure we'll see a surge in monitors w/ Gsync and quality panels in the next year...at least, I hope so!

I bought myself the XL2420TE, and it's pretty nice -- but now I'm wondering if I should've tried the TX first.
I kind of want to try the stereoscopic 3D, but I have some brand preference towards AMD video.

In the 'TX' model, does the emitter appear on the USB bus, or is it via DVI / DisplayPort alone? If you activate LightBoost with ToastyX StrobeLight (especially on an ATI/AMD card), does the emitter start sending strobes?

The TX has the emitter built in. Batman Arkham City is supposedly fantastic for a 3D game. I was not impressed. It's...nifty for the 1st 5 minutes. Then you wonder why your framerate is in the toilet. I think the best experience for a game like that would be Nvidia Surround. Also, the TX has crap colors and the flickering from the PWM backlight drove me bonkers.

Would you guys w/ the TE take a look @ your monitors and tell me if you see this:

s7apfoU.jpg

1. It's not as bad as the photo makes it look.
2. It's only bad when I have the monitor set to 0% brightness both in hardware and lowered to 0% w/ the program, Desktop Lighter.

The problem is that when browsing forums, it's VERY obvious that the top 1/2 of the monitor is dimmer/darker than the bottom 1/2.

Hmm, now that you point it out, I do see that. No matter where my head is (vertically) relative to the display, I can drag a window up and down, and the window border gets brighter and darker. I have mine at 0% brightness.

Thanks DanaG. If a few more of you can confirm this issue, then I'll have to decide whether or not to keep it.

I just LOVE this thing for gaming, but the dark top is just...lame.

All TN panels suffer from vertical gamma shift (colors are darker at the top and get lighter towards the bottom). Some are worse than others but it will always be obvious when displaying full screen colors.

Also interesting: in LightBoost mode, the top of the screen has visible "scan lines". It's easily visible in the Windows 8 window decorations.

Back