New 30 inch monitor in my future

Sneak

Limp Gawd
At this point it looks like the Dell U3011 is the ticket if I can whittle the price down on the phone with a sales rep. I sure would like the the 35 percent off that happened at the first of this year.

But I thought I would ask, is there anything new 30 inch wise from any manufacturer about to come out that might be worth waiting to see? I have searched around but not seen anything. Doesn't look like Dell refreshes monitors after only a year though it seems they have in the past.

Any info or thoughts? Actually I would consider a 27 inch. But 2560 x 1600 16:10 is what I am after.

Ohh, will be used for about everything, gaming, movies, browsing, and the general office stuff.

I've had the Dell u3011 for almost 2 weeks now and I'm considering returning it and getting a ZR30W. The Dell excels in design and inputs but it does have perceptible input lag. I even feel it while browsing the internet to be honest. The pointer just doesn't feel inline with my hand. Dell has awesome support for damaged or stuck pixels, not sure about HP.

If you don't plan on using consoles or anything that isn't a PC on it, I would probably go with the ZR30W since it's also significantly cheaper. But I'll be making my final decision soon.

Yeah, believe it or not I am still using a Dell 2405 which I bought they day they came out. It has higher input lag than the U3011. So I am wondering if the U3011 would be an improvement for me in that area or if how it affects you can vary by monitor. Just not a lot of choices in the 30 inch realm.

I actually just finished talking to dell about returning mine. I have a third replacement in the mail actually, but I plan on not even opening it and simply returning it.

The question is do you feel the input lag when playing games now?
Do you have ANY plans to use the monitor for console gaming or have multiple devices plugged into it?
Do you prefer... Dell?
Is your computer fast enough to play at that resolution nearly all the time?

Personally, I'd never get a 27" with 2560 resolution. Too high of DPI and the detail would be wasted on me. I loved my 25" 1080p monitor because I could see all the detail easily. Stuff looked sharp and big. I'm 21, not a grand parent, but I like crisp big font.

Dell's support is awesome so far, so that may mean something to you, but I've heard good stories about the ZR30W service. I do agree with the choices though. It's like either Dell, HP, or NEC if you're insane. There is also Hazro in the UK they make rather reasonably priced 30"ers.

30" without 3D capability is a no go for me. I still prefer a 32" 3DTV over a 30" monitor, although the 30" monitor will deliver much better refined images.

The Dell excels in design and inputs but it does have perceptible input lag. I even feel it while browsing the internet to be honest. The pointer just doesn't feel inline with my hand. Dell has awesome support for damaged or stuck pixels, not sure about HP.

I have been using my U3011 for over a month and I have not noticed any input lag in playing action games such as Super Street Figher 4 AE on my PC. Mouse cursor moves as fast as I move my mouse. No lag at all.

If you have noticeable input lag even when moving mouse cursor, the problem is most likely your PC.

I have been using my U3011 for over a month and I have not noticed any input lag in playing action games such as Super Street Figher 4 AE on my PC. Mouse cursor moves as fast as I move my mouse. No lag at all.

If you have noticeable input lag even when moving mouse cursor, the problem is most likely your PC.

That's good to hear. Am running a Logitech G700 gaming mouse here so that ought to help. And my build is basically new with pretty high end stuff. If I go for the U3011 maybe I won't noticeably lag as well.

I'm running two monitor side by side in clone mode. And my older one reacts faster. I'm not talking about response time as it's clear as crystal.

I don't know what the issue is. All 3 of the U3011's do it.

Ah yes, tis is a pity this will never come to fruition. :(

27" IPS displaying 2560x1600 @ 120hz would be absolutely perfect.

That would be a nice choice. It would give me something to think about. But alas........................! Doesn't look like there is anything new on the drawing board for the near future. S0.....I guess tomorrow I will call up a Dell Sales Rep and finagle with them on the U3011!

I have the 3007WFP-HC and the input lag is supposedly worse, yet when I gamed online, I constantly ranked among the top players overall in the FPS I played. I love it, and still use it to this day as my primary monitor for my home office. With 1 or 2 Dell 20s next to it, great setup :)

I also have Apple Cinema Displays 27", and the difference between the 30 and the 27 for usability is almost not noticeable, where I do notice it is just overall usage / look. It "feels" different not having the space at the bottom where I occasionally drag things. THe biggest (duh) difference is the anti-glare vs. glossy of the two screens. I LOVE the glossy screen but you MUST have a perfect environment for it. I have 2 of the apple 27s at my office facing the white wall behind me and have 0 glare problems, and 2 of my walls are complete floor to ceiling windows, at home office my 30" faces my 4'x6' windows (on 2 walls) and it works the apples not so much.

Check ebay for deals if you want to save as much as possible.

Two 30" Displays is huge, two 27" much more user friendly as your eyes can see over it and under it. Keep that in mind too, if you've never used a 30" it will seem like that's ALL your looking at the first few days using it.

Back