Networking

3ee Dee

Limp Gawd
I need to network two computers to share internet and a printer. I have no clue what to do and what I need to do it. :confused:

very concise clear answer :rolleyes:

ok to do this you should go buy 2 PCI 10/100 network cards, 2 Category 5 or 5e network cables of the length you need plus a few feet for working room, and a single NAT router. D link is a good brand to get. stay away from linksys as they have security issues out of the box. if you do not know how to install the network cards, have a pro do it.
most of the info you will need will come with the router manual.

D-link is a very good beginner router, which I have hooked up in several homes and have had ZERO problems.

For personal use I don't really like them from the feature aspect.
Infact, D-link has a 4 port router with built in print server (parallel port no usb).

Good luck....................................

Ok, I have 1 network card already in my main computer connecting to my modem. The other computer will be in the next room about 20 to 25 feet away. Is it possible to buy a wireless router and 1 wireless network card so the main comp is wired and the other is wireless? Or me being new to this, should I just get another card like the one I have and do like you said with the regular router and cat 5 cables?

I keep hearing alot of good about D-link so I'll probably go with that. Any suggestions on which model to choose?

I would just go wired.

And I guess all you need is another network card and the router and your set. :cool:

I just noticed what you said about the built in print server, that's cool. My printer is usb though so I looked on D-Link's website and they have the same one with usb. I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the help jaqie, beachbum. :cool:

Back