Networking Problem After Windows 10 Upgrade

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
They forced Windows 10 on all of our work laptops so I've been ironing out issues I have with it. I'm down to my last real problem and it is network related. The head of our IT department took a look and wasn't able to come up with a fix and suggested a different network adapter.

So to make this short, I have a Dell Latitude E6540 that is part a domain. The built in networking port stays on DHCP all of the time since I use it in a docking station. I have a Anker USB3 to Gigabit network adapter that I keep in my bag that is always setup with a static IP (192.168.1.x) for example. When I leave the office to go into the testing lab I will plug in the adapter and then use it to connect to a projects' isolated network. I frequently use the default admin share (i.e. \\computername\c$) to access the server machines (running 2012 R2) on the network to transfer files back and forth. Accessing the share was never a problem when running Windows 7, but after the upgrade to 10, I cannot access the same share anymore.

When I attempt to connect I get either error code 0x800704cf. The built in diagnose button does not find anything wrong. I can ping the computer name and the IP address just fine. The network connection is set to public. Firewalls are turned off on both my laptop and the server I'm trying to connect to. It just won't give me access to the share. I can launch a Windows 7 virtual machine on my laptop and it will connect just fine.

I don't really understand what is happening and researching the error code doesn't give me any definitive answers. I've tried some registry edits and what not that I've found researching the code but nothing has worked for me. Updating my Anker network adapter drivers didn't have any effect. I really need to be able to solve this on my laptop's OS without changing any settings on the servers. Would you guys have any suggestions as to what I can try? Thanks.

Does this happen on just your laptop or do you see the issue on another laptop? try your adapter on another windows 10 pc

I see you have tried to update the driver for the usb adapter. have you tried to totaly un-install the driver (Device manager - find the device and select delete [while the device is plugged in], on the pop up check the box that says delete the driver from this computer) and let windows grab it from windows update servers?

EDIT: this page is about windows 7, but it may still apply to 10, check it out too:
0x800704cf error Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

Does this happen on just your laptop or do you see the issue on another laptop? try your adapter on another windows 10 pc

I see you have tried to update the driver for the usb adapter. have you tried to totaly un-install the driver (Device manager - find the device and select delete [while the device is plugged in], on the pop up check the box that says delete the driver from this computer) and let windows grab it from windows update servers?

EDIT: this page is about windows 7, but it may still apply to 10, check it out too:

I did remove the device from the device manager while it was plugged in then let Windows 10 find the driver. I also tried removing it and using the driver install package. Neither had any effect. I will try another Windows 10 machine with my adapter to see what happens. I honestly didn't think of that.
Regarding your link, I came across a similar suggestion, and I did try removing devices from the device manager such as "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #1" (as well as 2, 3, 4, and 5) but they come back. I assume they are there for a reason.

Do you/Did you use IPv6 on windows 7? There is an MS fixit tool to disable ipv6. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852, you can disable/enable.
Have you reviewed the troubleshooter logs or other logs to determine if you an piece together why it is not able to find the path?
Is 'client for Microsoft Networking' enabled on the properties pane for the adapter? That is listed as a potential fix here: [FIX] Error 0x800704cf - The Network Location Can't Be Reached
Do you guys get local admin, or are they trying LAPS?
You mention you use an adapter with a static configuration, I'm sure its good, but has someone validated it is correct/using same settings as the win7 vm?
The network card you are using, are there native windows 10 drivers? Have you tried another nic?

Have you tried using the host IP instead of host name for access?

My adapter works fine on other Windows 10 laptops around the office. I confirmed that yesterday morning. I also tried another adapter with an AXIS chip instead of a RealTek chip.

Do you/Did you use IPv6 on windows 7? There is an MS fixit tool to disable ipv6. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852, you can disable/enable.
Have you reviewed the troubleshooter logs or other logs to determine if you an piece together why it is not able to find the path?
Is 'client for Microsoft Networking' enabled on the properties pane for the adapter? That is listed as a potential fix here: [FIX] Error 0x800704cf - The Network Location Can't Be Reached
Do you guys get local admin, or are they trying LAPS?
You mention you use an adapter with a static configuration, I'm sure its good, but has someone validated it is correct/using same settings as the win7 vm?
The network card you are using, are there native windows 10 drivers? Have you tried another nic?

I've never used IPv6 on this machine, or any other at the office for that matter. I have not reviewed the troubleshooter logs. Is that accessed through event viewer? That is a good idea to check the logs. The fix you listed I tried a couple weeks ago. It did not help at all. I'm not sure what LAPS is.
The adpater settings seem to be fine and it is running the correct Windows 10 drivers. I did discover that my onboard NIC port on the laptop is able to connect to the default network shares. It is just any USB3 network adapter that is unable to function correctly.

I think at this point I will probably wipe the machine and do a clean install of Windows 10. If that doesn't fix the issue I imagine nothing will.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I eventually fixed my issue by upgrading the Dell BIOS on the laptop from A13 to A17. No other changes were necessary and I tested it immediately after. Thanks to those that gave some suggestions.

Back