networking is dead!

r_a_s88

Limp Gawd
After receiving computer back from computer place to get XP home, 128MB ram, and new HDD installed, our family computer's internet connection is inoperable. All that comes up is a DNS error when IE is opened. Any help available? I know that the network is working properly, because the properties for the network show that packets are being sent and received successfully. Also, the internet is working, otherwise i would be asking you all this question. Any help is appreciated!

Okay, so what exactly isnt working? If you could get here, obviously you didnt get a DNS error from IE. DId you type in the IP address, or www.hardforum.com? Then do this
Start -> Run -> type in "command"

at the command prompt type

ipconfig /all then copy and paste that in your reply

and...the IPConfig will not run. I tried unning ipconfig and ipconfig /all

both just yielded the dos prompt screen then it immediately went away

Ok. are you doing Start -> run -> ipconfig
or are you going to a dos prompt then typing the ipconfig? You should be doing the latter.

i just went into the dos prompt

it worked, but I have no way of copy/pasting

Even if that wouldn't work, "it worked, but I have no way of copy/pasting" is unacceptable. If you want help then do what's asked of you. If you have to manually type it in, that is info required to assist you and your problem. If your not willing to do even the simplest tasks to help people help you, then move on to another forum.

ktwebb: we all know you're the man, you don't have to be a dick in 10 different threads to get your point across...

r_a_s88:

What type of internet connection do you have? Cable, DSL, Dialup, etc... Who is your ISP?

But ktwebb does have a point. Begging for more posts w/o more info on your part doesn't help.

Help US help YOU.

wouldnt that post his ip address?!?

i have the same problem. i cant open links from AIM, it doens tknow where to get the explorer from, even though i select over and over again:rolleyes:

Forget copying and pasting. Run Spybot S&D and search for something called "Winsock Fix" on google, or something like that. It'll rebuild your TCP/IP networking data and registry info.

i had this prob once, try this:

Start, run, cmd, ipconfig /repair

that fixed ours, good luck

i would check you tcp/ip information manually, just to see if the repair shop added anything to your DNS entries while they were working on it.

Forget copying and pasting. Run Spybot S&D and search for something called "Winsock Fix" on google, or something like that. It'll rebuild your TCP/IP networking data and registry info.

He just got his computer back from getting a new HDD installed. With a fresh install of windows, and with no network connectivity there shoudn't be any spyware, and winsock should be fine with a new install.

r_a_s88

You need to tell us what kind of internet connection you have.

Also go into the device manager and make sure all the drivers are installed for your hardware.

Right click My Computer, left click properties. Click on the hardware tab then click on device manager. What is listed under "network adapters" and "other devices"?

easiest workaround: uninstall the network card in device manager, and reboot. let xp reinstall it and have it auto set it up.

Back