Networking a Printer

I have 3-4 computers I need to hook up to one printer. What would be the best way to go about this. The computers are spread out in a bunch of different rooms.

WookieRookie said:
I have 3-4 computers I need to hook up to one printer. What would be the best way to go about this. The computers are spread out in a bunch of different rooms.

do you have a network setup?

install the printer localy to one computer and share the printer

do this to all other computers

1. add new printer wizard,
2. printer is localy on machine -> uncheck auto detect systems,
3. creat a new port and in the box type \\computer name\printername the computer name is the name of the computer that the printer is localy hooked up to and the printer name is the share name
4. find the right driver and print a test page to make sure every thing is working

this is assuming all computers are on the same workgroup/domain and are on the same network

Two of the computers are currently networked through a router. One is hardwired, the other is wireless. The other two are not networked to anything. I was thinking about a print server. Would that work?
Three of the machines are running Win98SE and one is running WinXP.

Just remember to disable bidirectional printing on the WinXP machine or else you'll get horrendous print times with huge 3 minute pauses every once in awhile.

Maybe it had to do with the print servers we were using (D-Link) but at the school system I worked at over the summer, when we were doing the XP upgrades, a lot of teachers complained until we realized what had happened. It took us awhile to figure it out because it apparently wasn't a problem with Windows 98.

go with a print server, is you do the shared printer through windows that one computer must be on for you to print. We use jetdirect at work, they do the job, you can even get wireless print servers if you want

k1pp3r said:
go with a print server, is you do the shared printer through windows that one computer must be on for you to print. We use jetdirect at work, they do the job, you can even get wireless print servers if you want

How much is a wireless print server generally and would I need any special cards for the computers?

Would using a router for the wireless transmission on the print server effect the internet connections or lag them?

instead of spending $50 for a print server.. you can buy a new HP printer with a nic and wireless b built in for under $100.. i saw one at sams club.. oh course printers are practically disposable and you would get something new in a few years.. so a seperate print server would be more valuable in that scenario...

How much printing capacity do you need? i.e. How many pages a month do you expect to print?

Back