Network Static IP Config

ChappyChaps11

Limp Gawd
Networking help. I need a fairly detailed explanation. I have 5 desktop computers. I have 4 on a router so they all get internet. Now the 5th box I dont really need the internet with BUT I do need a connection with main box.

I have 2 ethernet ports.
I have all cables.
1 box is running windows XP Pro
1 box is running windows 98 SE

Now, I thought XP would help me a little more but it isnt. I conencted the 2 boxes using a standard RJ45 connection. Check windows XP. It says the connection is not active.

So I checked some things. And heres what:

Both on the same workgroup
Both have sharing enabled (and sharing things)
The connection/cable is fine

I think I need to somehow give the second box a static IP but can not figure out how to do that.

So what I need it to have my 2 boxes connected. THe one port I am trying to connect with is my nForce 2 ethernet to my second box. ANy help?

Im a little confused, you mean you want to directly network 2 pcs without a hub? If so youll need a crossover cable, directions for making one are at your neighborhood google. Or you can buy one. ( a regular network cable wont work)

To set a static IP in Windows XP:

Go to your Network Connection Properties, then double click TCP/IP, then check the "Manual Configuration" box, and enter the details.

Chances are you network runs on the 192.168 range, so your IP would be 192.168.0.XX. Subnet mask is usually and defaultly set to 255.255.255.0 and Gateway would be your router, if using ICS it's 192.168.0.1.

Hope that helps some.

Originally posted by Wixard
Im a little confused, you mean you want to directly network 2 pcs without a hub? If so youll need a crossover cable, directions for making one are at your neighborhood google. Or you can buy one.

So basically I would be better off getting hub? And does the crossover cable have a null modem or whatever so it could get internet? I mean I dont need it on the second box but it would be nice.

Thanks

edit* is this ok?

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_0&oid=24463&catoid=-8750

Rs-232 is a null modem serial cable (i think, been a long time) crossover cables use the rj-45 jack

Edit: yea thats what you want there (the link you provided) But dont be like everyone else, be leet and tell your wife/kids/mother "you know, im so cool i used a cat 5 cable to make a crossover cable instead of an rs232 cable because im just so leet. Oh yea baby it uses mdix"

hahaha ok thanks for the help now I gotta scrounge up 6 bucks :) thats not including lunch money i would better spend on my computer lol

Originally posted by Wixard
Im a little confused, you mean you want to directly network 2 pcs without a hub? If so youll need a crossover cable, directions for making one are at your neighborhood google. Or you can buy one. ( a regular network cable wont work)

a regular network cable won't work, unless you have an "auto MDI- MDI-X" network card in one of the machines, like the new ones from Dlink.

Back