Network Room Security

Hey guys,

Fairly simple question, but there are simply too many variables for me to put together.

My company's office is in the beautiful sweaty ghetto known as Houston. We've currently had a number of break ins (2 at our previous office, 1st one a few weeks ago here at our new one). They thiefs didn't make it to our server room, but the possibility is there as the door doesn't have a lock.

I came in after build out/planning. The server room has restricted access as no one is allowed in there (ooo, a sign) and has the door shut at all times. The room is a dedicated room just for the server room. It has an aluminum frame and apparently has particleboard doors from what we saw in the damage from the breakin.

We're currently looking at ways to secure the server room as far as entry goes. If we just put a lock on the door they can bust the lock assembly/door like they did during the breakin, or just break through the drywall (what they did to reach through and unlock the door at our other location).

What are some options that I can look at? A second door/cage like a bank vault as you walk into the server room?

Thanks in advance!

1. Buy a steel door and frame, install them.
2. Buy a lock for the door.
3. Lock the door.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Seriously, don't over think it. If somebody REALLY wants to get into something, they will. Get server racks that are fully enclosed and lock them.

Either way, if somebody really wants in, they will find a way. Deterrence is all you can do.

How much hardware do you have in there? Are we talking 1 or two racks or a bunch? Secondly I take it your office has some sort of alarm system?

How much hardware do you have in there? Are we talking 1 or two racks or a bunch? Secondly I take it your office has some sort of alarm system?

Yes we have a security system and are right down the road from a Police station. The alarms went off at 3am and the cops took 10minutes to get here but of course the guys were gone

I'm looking for a way to delay them long enough that they'll just give up and run. Like I said locks are grand but at our last office they just puched/sledgehammered through the drywall, reached through, and unlocked.

We have 3 server racks.

Last edited:
Yes we have a security system and are right down the road from a Police station. The alarms went off at 3am and the cops took 10minutes to get here but of course the guys were down.

I'm looking for a way to delay them long enough that they'll just give up and run. Like I said locks are grand but at our last office they just puched/sledgehammered through the drywall, reached through, and unlocked.

We have 3 server racks.

Locks are "nice"? LMAO, seriously?

Put some steel plates on the inner walls of the room next to the doors.

Is your ceiling secure? No point in doing any of that if they can simply jump the wall.

I'm not sure there is much you can do to the existing structure if they were using sledges to get through the drywall.

Our server rooms have poured concrete block walls from floor to roof (Not the Ceiling). It's primarily for fire reasons, but it prevents people from scaling the wall by removing the ceiling tiles. We have a heavy steel door frame with a solid wood door and industrial locks and hinges.

I'm not sure there is much you can do to the existing structure if they were using sledges to get through the drywall.

Our server rooms have poured concrete block walls from floor to roof (Not the Ceiling). It's primarily for fire reasons, but it prevents people from scaling the wall by removing the ceiling tiles. We have a heavy steel door frame with a solid wood door and industrial locks and hinges.

I wish I could have been here for the initial construction (First tenants, they did a complete buildout).

I'll run this by the uppers and see what we can come up with.

Thanks again for all the input guys!

Video cameras. Two sets. First set are out in plain sight to deter those who don't want to get recorded, but are dummies with explosive dye packs. Second set are unobtrusive and are watching the first set of cameras.

Why not just hire a guard for evening? Even if it is someone that only has a whistle to blow on, having someone there will be much more of a deterrence than trying to build a fort. The other concern is how exactly is the business being protected current? Do you have bars on the windows, sliding metal gates, sharks with lasers on their heads? Maybe securing the building is a better option.

We have steel doors with steel frames, card swipe to unlock the door and walls that go all the way to the roof. I would say start by upgrading your doors and frames, adding some locks and cameras and see how that works for you.

You could also get some bear traps and lay them around in your Network room but they would probably sue you if they got that far.

Hehe, not is Texas.

Seriously, Cameras will be your best friends. On the outside neext to be as big and bold as possible to advertise their presense as well as a good eyeball view of the approach. Then less obtrusive cams at strategic points inside the building. Make sure the DVR/NVR is locked up tight and go.

Hehe, not is Texas.

Seriously, Cameras will be your best friends. On the outside neext to be as big and bold as possible to advertise their presense as well as a good eyeball view of the approach. Then less obtrusive cams at strategic points inside the building. Make sure the DVR/NVR is locked up tight and go.

Better yet, don't keep the video onsite. Transmit it offsite for storage.

We had some issues with tenants (and leaching friends of tenants) breaking through sheetrock walls to get into a storage area (after we put a better lock on the door). We ended up stapling heavy wire mesh (16 ga. steel in 1/4" x 14" pattern) to the studs, right under the sheetrock.

On private property, i'm more of a fan of the trip-wire teargas and pepper spray canisters.

I was just about to suggest a Smoke Cloak. It's by far the best security device we ever bought.

It's common practice where I am to install a layer of 3/4 plywood under sheetrock walls in areas where you need break/penetration resistance.

No fire code violation since the combustibles are encapsulated, and a whole hell of a lot cheaper than using metal sheeting. (be sure to check local codes, YMMV)

It will not stop them forever, however it should do the trick for your 10 minute response.

We also had a similar issue at one of our facilities, and we (truthfully) let the local PD know that there were firearms stored on site in a safe. Their response time dropped by 2/3rds.

a VERY NICE security system with high quality cameras and dvr, ( hidden ) in the office so they don't steal that too.

then one in server room and some points of the office.

Steel door with good lock on it etc etc..

Instead of a physical lock, look into a maglock with a card swipe. You can get maglocks with 300-1200lb of force. Some card swipe systems are fully poe powered so as long as the switch has power nothing is getting through that door.

get a chain link fence to surround the servers have one point to enter and exit and set it in to the flore and celling.

I think if you have a sign on that than no one goes there.But if you want more security there than installed a monitoring alarm system there in this way you can monitor that place without any more difficulty and also caught a person who try to go there.

Back