Network pics thread

Getting my DL380 sometime this week.

The place where it's coming from is having all its servers moved to new hardware, leaving all the old servers just sitting around.
Mine will be decommissioned (sp?) tomorrow, if not Wednesday. Will be getting it by the end of the week, hopefully.
It's changed from a 380 G4 to a 380 G7. Dual processors, ton of ram, loads of disc space too, apparently. Can't wait! :cool:

I'm a happy Danny lol.

The place where it's coming from is having all its servers moved to new hardware, leaving all the old servers just sitting around.
Mine will be decommissioned (sp?) tomorrow, if not Wednesday. Will be getting it by the end of the week, hopefully.
It's changed from a 380 G4 to a 380 G7. Dual processors, ton of ram, loads of disc space too, apparently. Can't wait! :cool:

I'm a happy Danny lol.

nice score, just be aware, the 380 G4's are pretty loud and power hungry..

the G7's are so quiet! Wish i had one..

I'm a happy Danny lol/.

care to share the deal? or is it dead?

Haha cheers guys!

It's fully working, afaik.
Think it's an inside thing, I've not been involved with it much. It's a place my dad works at, he does them alot of favours and they know the quals I'm taking at the moment.
I'll probably end up with a couple of switches from there too, anything would be better than that 3COM I got lol.

Got some goodies yesterday :)

DSCN0331.JPG

2 new hot swap caddy's for my R415, ( it had blanks before )

DSCN0332.JPG

Idrac 6 Enterprise card 99$

DSCN0333.JPG

2 x 8gig sticks 129$ Going to order 6 more in a few weeks..

DSCN0334.JPG

Beast on the bench,
DSCN0335.JPG

Cover off her :)

DSCN0336.JPG

only 2 2's in this set & no idrac card.
DSCN0337.JPG

Idrac & Memory Unpackaged, ready to be put in
DSCN0341.JPG

DSCN0342.JPG

Memory Idrac all in :)
DSCN0345.JPG

Booting, doing mem test, & configuring Idrac.
DSCN0346.JPG

Nice.

I never really got a chance to mess around with iLO, by the time I had reinstalled the server, configured it and installed some programs, the sound of the fans just got on my nerves.
The last time I tried, I ended up pulling the plug as something I'd done made it go into this overheated state and whack it's fans on full power.. Sounded like a jet engine or something lmao.

It's on my to-do list, along with all the other server stuff lol..

Nice.

I never really got a chance to mess around with iLO, by the time I had reinstalled the server, configured it and installed some programs, the sound of the fans just got on my nerves.
The last time I tried, I ended up pulling the plug as something I'd done made it go into this overheated state and whack it's fans on full power.. Sounded like a jet engine or something lmao.

It's on my to-do list, along with all the other server stuff lol..

What server was it ? Make model ?

Nice, are you using it to control XenServer?

No' it's a dedicated server, my spare machine :) pretty cool software...Easy to use too..

Let me know what you think about proxmox, I'd like to try it sometime. From my understanding it's based on KVM and is basically a Linux distro right? So it should be able to do MD raid on the host?

Let me know what you think about proxmox, I'd like to try it sometime. From my understanding it's based on KVM and is basically a Linux distro right? So it should be able to do MD raid on the host?

Its actually pretty cool, if u want I'll open a port and u can log in and play with it, love the fact I can control the host via web browser and have it all work great...

Its actually pretty cool, if u want I'll open a port and u can log in and play with it, love the fact I can control the host via web browser and have it all work great...

Is it stable enough to use in production with let say a SBS 2011 host in it ?

You guys and your friggin mismatched memory configurations! argh!!! dude put that in dual channel already! the two sticks on the one CPU and the 4 others on the other one -_-;

Is it stable enough to use in production with let say a SBS 2011 host in it ?
Proxmox is mainly for OpenVZ...but if it uses KVM SBS2011 will work fine.

You guys and your friggin mismatched memory configurations! argh!!! dude put that in dual channel already! the two sticks on the one CPU and the 4 others on the other one -_-;

Forgive them, for they know not what they do. :(

ha5bv.png

While I can't agree more, I can't help but be reminded of this comic
http://www.lackadaisycats.com/exhibit.php?exhibitid=92

"ASYMMETRY?"

----------------------------------
Now for a update:
I recently got a HP 1810 24 port switch that I'm very happy with...
My dog inspecting the wiring job:
IMG_20120403_232831.jpg

Closeup shot....
IMG_20120403_232904.jpg

Not much is used yet, and it's very "thrown together" for now. I'm looking into getting a rack of some kind to mount all this stuff to soon.

Which version idrac allow that?

waiting till i can order more sticks SOON!!!

Proxmox is mainly for OpenVZ...but if it uses KVM SBS2011 will work fine.

ANY os will run on this :) it works pretty dam awesome..

Replaced the DVD in my DELL R210 II box with an HDD adapter.

why not put 2 x 2.5"

Whats the server doing ?

in the end i sure wish i bought 2 R210's :( instead of this R415. BUT OH WELL! ;0

one other question How loud is that beast ? pretty good or is it loud ? New bios ?

Last edited:
I didn't see any adapters that would replace the ODD for 2 x 2.5 drives. I wedge an Intel SSD in the center tucked under the 16GB case-less USB flash drive. The box already has 2x1TB 3.5 drives connected to the PERC.

Running VMWare ESXi 5. It is VERY quiet. Wish it had room for more drives. Power consumption is ~75 watts idle.

E3-1280 3.5GHz
2 x 8GB
PERC H200
iDRAC 6 Enterprise

I didn't see any adapters that would replace the ODD for 2 x 2.5 drives. I wedge an Intel SSD in the center tucked under the 16GB case-less USB flash drive. The box already has 2x1TB 3.5 drives connected to the PERC.

Running VMWare ESXi 5. It is VERY quiet. Wish it had room for more drives. Power consumption is ~75 watts idle.

E3-1280 3.5GHz
2 x 8GB
PERC H200
iDRAC 6 Enterprise

2 drives perfect for iso's and other things, then use nfs / iscsi for more :) ( thats what i do )

I have the R415 with 4 drives but only use 2 and a perc Raid card..

And an MD3000i, or if you want to go cheap/slower get an AX150i. Both of those are easy as hell to setup on iSCSI.

to much power, and heat.

Id build a I3 and a 8 bay box, :) OH WAIT i might be soon :)

something fast and efficient.. ( if possible ) Or maybe just buy a bay qnap.

Not really a "laptop" drive, but a 2.5" SAS or Sata drive (Typically SAS) at 6gb/second or better and typically around 10-15k rpm. Much faster than a laptop drive.

Since this has turned into "post pics of your server", here is one of our fully loaded unused UCS blades. I have no idea what the CPU's are, but it does have 192GB of ram.

cEYqs.jpg

Back