Network pics thread

...... I too have to figure out a way to run them above ground outside to my garage.

Best option I`ve seen for in the air is two poles (one on each building) with a stainless steel wire pulled tight between them, not too tight, but enough to stop it flapping about in the wind. You`ll need an insulator between the two buildings if you use a steel wire, using another material though, kevlar rope, paracord or something else non conductive.....

Then some flexible metal trunking with like a rubber weatherproof exterior with the fibre/s run inside cable tied to the tight steel wire, seen this a few times in various places and used it myself once, for a run about 2 and a half metres around 9 feet off the ground, worked a treat.

Last edited:
Best option I`ve seen for in the air is two poles (one on each building) with a stainless steel wire pulled tight between them, not too tight, but enough to stop it flapping about in the wind. You`ll need an insulator between the two buildings if you use a steel wire, using another material though, kevlar rope, paracord or something else non conductive.....

Then some flexible metal trunking with like a rubber weatherproof exterior with the fibre/s run inside cable tied to the tight steel wire, seen this a few times in various places and used it myself once, for a run about 2 and a half metres around 9 feet off the ground, worked a treat.

It's called aerial conduit

here we go, all my gear sitting on the floor :( now to order the new 12U enclosed rack.

DSCN0198.JPG

DSCN0199.JPG

Doing all of this so i can keep MINI ME out of my stuff..

DSCN0195.JPG

I'm guessing you'll have to repunch your panel to route the cables in the new one, eh?

Wouldn't a baby gate be cheaper?

Did you route the edge of the surface plywood on your desk so that it's not such a rough edge on the wrists? I've built a couple desks like that and I always end up using cheap formika countertop instead, I just built my desk for my upstairs office (has to look decent vs the basement office) and I used some laminate shelving stuff for the surface, but the corner is a little rough and I'm not sure how much I can smooth it out without messing up the finish... thinking about doing wood with routed edge and paint/stain to seal it up.

Sure is :) looks messy for now till the new rack comes in :)

Can't beloved how quiet this all is too, it's like silent!!

I'm still contemplating taking the fans out of my POE switch :-/

What are your POE injectors for? (I'm assuming that's what they are)

I'm still contemplating taking the fans out of my POE switch :-/

What are your POE injectors for? (I'm assuming that's what they are)

Looks like they are for Cisco phones

one is for a cisco sip phone on my desk, the other is for my EnGenius AP

Fan'sout of your switch ? well you could take the top off and seee how warm things are getting first. OR you can get new fans with higher voltage witch spin lower on the lower voltage but still move air..

I love how he wants to keep the youngin's hands off his gear, but isn't above the child having its hands on a paper shredder :p

one is for a cisco sip phone on my desk, the other is for my EnGenius AP

Fan'sout of your switch ? well you could take the top off and seee how warm things are getting first. OR you can get new fans with higher voltage witch spin lower on the lower voltage but still move air..

Thought about getting a POE switch instead? :)

I actually bought my current POE switch to replace a big/noisy cisco switch as i thought it was fan-less but then realized only the non-POE model was -doh!

Thought about getting a POE switch instead? :)

I actually bought my current POE switch to replace a big/noisy cisco switch as i thought it was fan-less but then realized only the non-POE model was -doh!

I only have 2 POE devices :) no need for a switch when i have 2 Injectors @ $8 on ebay who could go wrong :)

I love how he wants to keep the youngin's hands off his gear, but isn't above the child having its hands on a paper shredder :p
The baseboard heater is under a desk with piles of flammable crap in front of it. It's really not a safety-first household.

That shredder is full of non-flammable paper?

I would have just said "That heater is disconnected..."

They work nearly flawlessly, with the exception of one quirk. When you dial out it says the extension@ipaddress instead of the person's name that or employees became accustomed to. I could care less, so it's a non-issue for the most part. I've got some yealinks on order, so that will be fun to see how those like 3CX.

I have used a few Yealinks at customers sites they work well with Asterisk based IP PBX installations!:D

how about this visbits :)

I had to change out a storage shelf 2 sundays ago at 6am, plus the 2 hour drive to get there from home..

photo.JPG

I'd say there were about 12-15 48U racks FULL of emc storage stuff :) i bet you there is more than 2500 hard drives in this room alone.

PLUS 4 of these storageTek Tape library's.

2694180904_38b3dcc7c1.jpg

@dashpuppy - Do those 1TB Seagate CC38 drives need a firmware update? IIRC they had issues.

@dashpuppy - Do those 1TB Seagate CC38 drives need a firmware update? IIRC they had issues.

Not that i know of, I bought the unit off MikeTrike, one drive failed lastweek so i did a rma, and just ploped the new drive in this morning, its at 555 don'e rebuilding.

Loving this qnap, can't wait to do a 4tb to 8tb conversion :)

Back