Network pics thread

I don't even have a home phone. Home phones are for those who LIKE to be annoyed and bothered by cousins ringing your phone all the time.

I wish they would make a smart phone (not a mobile/cell phone) that could do whitelist-only mode, number black listing, digital conversation recording, digital message recording (answering machine component), ability to use custom sound files for ring/answering machine, etcetera. Is there even an open-source system like this for phones? (Sort of like pfSense/DD-WRT for routers.)

So by cousin you mean your mother? Cousin = mother :p

Last edited:
So by cousin you mean your mother? :p

Pretty much people who annoy you.
DdzSa.png

Not if your home phone is VoIP over Cable/DSL, which people actually still pay for.

I could never justify the ever increasing price of a POTS line.

Funny enough, i live in a new subdevision of the city im in, and all 50+ houses that were built don't even have wiring for POTS phones at all. Shawcable pushes their home phone and well it works good.

I don't even have a home phone. Home phones are for those who LIKE to be annoyed and bothered by cousins ringing your phone all the time.

I wish they would make a smart phone (not a mobile/cell phone) that could do whitelist-only mode, number black listing, digital conversation recording, digital message recording (answering machine component), ability to use custom sound files for ring/answering machine, etcetera. Is there even an open-source system like this for phones? (Sort of like pfSense/DD-WRT for routers.)

freepbx = win :)

A friend of mine had so many telemarketing calls etc etc so he put in a pbx server, now to get through you have to press 500 and you get through, AND it even says it how to get through right away too in plain good english.

Soon ill be building another freepbx and a sip account with a few wired & wireless sip phones.

I can't imagine not having a POTS line. It's one of those services that I've grew up with and it's always been the main phone for any house I'm at. Now, I could probably do without it if I really wanted to, but I rather keep it as it's the most reliable way to get in touch with someone in the event of an emergency.

POTS service is also designed to be a robust system. The equipment is highly redundant, and the the "final loop" has no dependencies on any electrical equipment, so it will work in extended power outages.

Now cell phones are getting more and more reliable as well, and cell sites normally have a battery bank too, so I'm sure it will come a time where cells are just as reliable, but they arn't quite there yet. It's an overall more complex technology so that means more points of failure.

And I'd like to eventually look at setting up freepbx/asterisk in my house at one point too. I'd probably have a phone hooked up directly to the line and set it up so if the freepbx server is down, it will ring (some kind of relay maybe?) It would be fun to play around with, and send telemarketters to elevetor music hold queues and stuff.

TBH, I'd argue cell service is more reliable. Too often where I live does the last mile end up being taken out by a tree or damaged equipment.

Cell towers are pretty much isolated units these days, the generators/batteries will power them indefinitely, and the backhaul is protected (buried/microwave link) or redundant.

POTS isn't going to be around for long in the traditional sense. Comcast is moving people away from Telcos for home phones, they only do digital. I only have POTS in the fact that we have FiOS digital voice. Can't say I miss the copper, I'd prefer glass any day. Even when trees hit FiOS lines, they just snap off their brackets fairly cleanly. 0 fiber downtime in the 4 years we've had FiOS.

You're failing to consider the places where fiber isn't available -- which is most places.

The impending death of POTS is far less dependent on fiber than you think. At least less dependent on last-mile fiber than you think. Comcast and the other MSOs are all delivering digital voice over their HFC systems and cable is nearly ubiquitous. AT&T is offering digital voice over U-Verse, which is wire in the last mile but fiber to the node. There is FIOS in large areas. And for the places these things don't work there is always the cellular-landline bridges that are showing up in the market to light up your home phones over a cellular connection. You don't need ubiquitous fiber to see the end of POTS.

Traditional POTS days are numbered. There is no doubt about that. Their CO equipment is reaching end-of-life and will not be maintainable after just a few more years. The Telco's have little or no interest in spending the $billions it will take to replace/upgrade it when the revenue from POTS is falling, not growing. The copper plant in the ground is too expensive to maintain.

Its just a matter of time...

The impending death of POTS is far less dependent on fiber than you think. At least less dependent on last-mile fiber than you think. Comcast and the other MSOs are all delivering digital voice over their HFC systems and cable is nearly ubiquitous. AT&T is offering digital voice over U-Verse, which is wire in the last mile but fiber to the node. There is FIOS in large areas. And for the places these things don't work there is always the cellular-landline bridges that are showing up in the market to light up your home phones over a cellular connection. You don't need ubiquitous fiber to see the end of POTS.

Traditional POTS days are numbered. There is no doubt about that. Their CO equipment is reaching end-of-life and will not be maintainable after just a few more years. The Telco's have little or no interest in spending the $billions it will take to replace/upgrade it when the revenue from POTS is falling, not growing. The copper plant in the ground is too expensive to maintain.

Its just a matter of time...

Agree.

SO many people have switched to cell services and VOIP services it's more and more common than a analogue line..

A lot of people my age (20's) and even 30's around me are moving over to just cell phone's with no home landline. Most people carry a cell phone anyways so why bother with a second, rarely used, expensive landline? My sister (the least tech-savvy person on the planet) recently just switched over to pure cell phones since her and her husband both have cell phones and realized why spend the extra 25 a month for a landline they rarely use.

The only time I ever had a land line was when I had a DSL connection. Other than that I've never had a land line in the 8+ years I've been out on my own.

At least less dependent on last-mile fiber than you think.
Then you're just arguing semantics. Most residences in the US will have copper phone service for a long time. If that copper service is backed by wireless or fiber at the switch, great -- but it's still copper at the demarcation. If that doesn't mean "POTS" to you, that's fine -- but the last mile problem still leaves the customer with service far less compelling than true fiber-to-the-door service.

Then you're just arguing semantics. Most residences in the US will have copper phone service for a long time. If that copper service is backed by wireless or fiber at the switch, great -- but it's still copper at the demarcation. If that doesn't mean "POTS" to you, that's fine -- but the last mile problem still leaves the customer with service far less compelling than true fiber-to-the-door service.

You are welcome to see it that way, but it is far, far more than "just semantics". The question is how will people be receiving IP/data service at their homes - because in just a few short years phone service will be nothing more than an application running over their data lines.

Yes - some of that will be delivered over copper pairs. But the phone service won't be anything like POTS and won't have any of the characteristics noted by Red_Squirrel in his post above.

You are welcome to see it that way, but it is far, far more than "just semantics". The question is how will people be receiving IP/data service at their homes - because in just a few short years phone service will be nothing more than an application running over their data lines.

Yes - some of that will be delivered over copper pairs. But the phone service won't be anything like POTS and won't have any of the characteristics noted by Red_Squirrel in his post above.

wireless links ? 3g is getting cheaper and cheaper. COPPER prices keep going up and up and up..

3G is not getting cheaper and cheaper its more like going up and going up if you go over 5GB cap have you seen how much they are going to charge you per GB.

3G is not getting cheaper and cheaper its more like going up and going up if you go over 5GB cap have you seen how much they are going to charge you per GB.

3g voice...not data. We're talking about replacing POTS. And yes, 3g voice is getting cheaper and cheaper.

pots is going to be replaced by voip anyways so whats the point here? there is no such thing as 3g voice all it is voip noting better take look at openbts. I can become a cell carrier also just using asterisk and gsm = voip over gsm.

Or you can be like my girl friend and the only wire running on the poles near your house besides Electricity is a POTS line.

And even with that POTS line there's no DSL even, so if you want internet its Dialup,
Hughes net, or Wild Blue.

However as of 2007 AT&T 3g cell service is now availability by her house instead of Edge. And Sprint became available with 3g at the end of 2010.

Sad part is i live in a suburb from her about 1.5 miles away and have everything except Fios. She is barely on the outskirts of town, and she still has to relay on a POTS network. I have contacted Comcast before to see if they will ever be in her area, and i got the flat out no due to the agricultural area. They wont even put up a private line if we chose to pay. (cant afford, but had to know if it was possible :D ) Something about the lines can be damaged due to rice or orchard harvesting equip. Funny cause she rarely looses power or phone...

Since the last time I moved, in march 2011, I have ditched my POTS line for Voip with VOIP.MS (excellent service in Canada). I had a Linsys SPA voip adaptor lying around and now it costs less than 5$ a month for a phone line that has more customisable options. I even pay less than 2$ a month when I don't use the phone often.

It's less reliable than POTS I agree since it depends on the SPA adaptor, the internet line and the voip servers, but if you have VOIP and a Cell phone, the reliability of the VOIP is a non-issue.

Lets re-direct this conversation people, Network pics.

Someone start a seperate thread to discuss phone options.

Our main ESX server needs more RAM. It's a beast Dell T710 with dual X5680 CPUs in it but only has 40GB of ram as of now. I don't understand why this beast of a server, costing more than 10K each (have a second identical one that's the passive failover) has only this tiny amount of RAM. Of course, the server has been bought before I came in as the IT Manager...

Just bought 96GB of 8GB Sticks and will upgrade pretty soon.
t710.jpg

ram.jpg

nice but just 1 server? I always find that if my servers need 96GB of RAM it actually means I need more than 1 server.

nice but just 1 server? I always find that if my servers need 96GB of RAM it actually means I need more than 1 server.

What if you have a database VM that needs a ton of RAM? A VM can only pull RAM from a single ESX host.

(but then again, I'd never run a database server that needed 96GB as a VM, so...)

We don't have only one server, we have over 8 physical server, but over 20 in total including VM'ed ones. Our SQL server is a comparable machine but the OS is directly on the server, not a VM.

And about server being in tower form, the company I work for had an extremely quick expension over the last year and a half, they never thought they would need rackmounted servers. Our new building is prepped with 2 4-post racks for future servers and we will put those tower server in the racks in the meantime with breadracks.

The fact that it isn't in my house right now... and multiplied by 10. :D

i guess nothing, but 10 of them would make alot of heat and power consumption would be up!

LOL!!!

Id love a few rack mounted Dell's :)

Well off to do some reading, will post EMC photo's tomorrow guys.

Dash..

~3 years uptime? this is single machine right? I hope it's all intranet and not accessible from internet..

console.jpg

Despite being in the same rack as a pile of srx240's, lm 2200's, some 6503's.. Trusty console router.

Back