Network Monitor?

kwmarc

Limp Gawd
I am currently in the process of finalizing my snort install. However, the boss has come to me and he does want the IDS for detecting alerts but he also needs to be able to view packets that users are sending out. Where they are going. Snort im sure can log all packets from the broadcast on the hub that it will be sitting off of but i want to know if there is any program that can organize these packets by computername/ip address with a nice GUI. Is there a program that will do this? Snort is going to be good for detecting alerts but we need to be able to see all the traffic for a particular user.

You can use mysql as a backend storage for snorts alerts, and then use BASE here to get the data from it, in a nice clean fashion. BASE is based (lol) on ACID, which seems ot have stopped being developed.

are you talking about outbound(internet) connections/packets that he wants to see?

are you using hubs or switches in your network

how many internet connections do you have and what type are they / what devices is / are handling the internet connection.

I have snort detecting all the alerts through ACID (BASE now that i upgraded), but i want to see each users packets, ALL of the packets, basically to see where they are going on the internet. Snort only logs alerts through BASE, and if i can tell snort to log all packets i dont know how. If anyone could help me that it would be appreciated, otherwise im gonna take a look at this ntop thing.

i think you should just take a look at ntop. really, i actually need to get ACID (or BASE i guess) running in my own setup here at work because snortalog isn't cutting it for analysis. but ntop is exactly the thing you are looking for. snort is an IDS. ntop is a network monitor. ntop will show you stats for every packet to or from a host on your LAN. see how much a host downloaded, how much they uploaded, who they are connecting to on the outside, what ports they are connecting on, what type of traffic is going through your LAN, what times of day the traffic goes through, how many packets were sent/received, how many bytes . . . i could go on endlessly.

if you don't want to jump into an install then at least start reading the few bits of documentation there are and look at some screen shots. you should be able to get an idea from those whether this is for you or not.

kwmarc said:
I have snort detecting all the alerts through ACID (BASE now that i upgraded), but i want to see each users packets, ALL of the packets, basically to see where they are going on the internet. Snort only logs alerts through BASE, and if i can tell snort to log all packets i dont know how. If anyone could help me that it would be appreciated, otherwise im gonna take a look at this ntop thing.
Well, snort as an IDS only grabs packets that meet the ruleset. If you want to log all traffic, well you better have alot of space, and be ready to maybe even weekly delete old logs to make room for new ones (maybe even more often, depending on how much traffic you will be seeing). The main reason why projects like snort are made, is so you dont log every thing, because that takes alot of space.

Back