Network disconnects every 10 minutes

LoStMaTt

2[H]4U
The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was successfully sent a stop control.

The reason specified was: 0x40030011 [Operating System: Network Connectivity (Planned)]

Comment: None

Intel(R) 82578DM Gigabit Network Connection
Network link is disconnected.

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{A478E762-0970-4EA3-9899-2FCA3C4DD15D} because a master browser was stopped.

The above is what I see in the event viewer every 10 minutes. This Windows 7 box hosts a POS system for a restaurant. This disconnect causes the POS system to crash every 10 minutes which is quite a nuisance.

I have replaced the router, switch and cables used to connect the Windows 7 box. I have reverted to older drivers, tried using the latest, to no avail.

Thinking there was still some kind of software issue I hooked up a completely new tower which has the same network card I might add, started having the same problem!

The terminals all run Windows XP Pro and aren't experiencing any kind of disconnect and their event viewers are clean.

I thought that maybe one of them was causing an issue so I shut them all down and tested each one at a time -- still no solution.

The only thing I have yet to do is recrimp the ends of some questionable wiring.

Many of the results I find via Google bring up people experiencing the exact problem with no solid solution.

I have tried every single one and still cannot fix the problem. Power management, nope. Disable SIPS, nope.

I am dumbfounded.

Any ideas?

Not PC America, they use something known as Silverware POS.

Two different machines with same hardware and OS (Windows 7) experience the same issue. They do not experience the problem when plugged in offsite, so the issue is environmental -- just don't know what it is.

same hardware and same OS when using the same jack (or cable depending on how you have it ran)? Or when plugged into different places on the network?

I know that the NIC is gigabit, is the switch gigabit also? for the older XP machines are they using gigabit or 100Mbps?

Do any of the machines have two nics connected to the network?
Any virtual nics on the machine? VPN software?
Do you have topology of the network, where does each port on the network switch go and what does each of those devices connect to?

Also, Windows AD environment? Linux? No server at all? What kind of gateway device? Firewall? etc

Disable IPv6 on Windows 7 machine?

Last edited:
Back