Network admin salary

djdk

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I recently sent in a resume for a ResNet administration position at a university and am hoping to hear back for an interview. I was wondering what a fair starting salary would be?

I am currently on my last semester at college and will have my BS in Business Administration in May, and I have actually been working as my school's assistant network admin a few hours every day and full time over breaks during my time here. So, I do have good experience, especially since our ResNet is pretty much entirely my responsibility.

What do you think? I have noticed through some research that it seems to fall between 45k and 60k on average. Being my first job out of school, but bearing in mind I have experience, what do you think is fair to ask?

What will the responsibilities of the job entail? What qualifications does the job require? Here in Atlanta you would be hard pressed to find a company willing to pay 60k a year for someone straight out of college with a degree in an unrelated field and limited experience...

where are you? elizabethtown, PA? is that a big town, small city, back-woods? i think 45-60K is a pretty accurate range, but you need to give more info about the job. is there a job description document and/or skills required/preferred list?

also, try looking at salary.com. also, give more details about your experience- years? job responsibilities? etc.

I'm guestimating that you should be starting at the low 40's just because you still don't have any qualifications/degrees yet. The BA you are doing isn't going to help you in the experience part... but it will help you if your position includes other tasks besides networking.

45-60k is a big range. For a network admin job I'd say expect closer to 45 out of college....a more accurate range might be 40-45. After you have about 5 years of experience you might start seeing closer to 60k, but that all depends on how you further yourself (certs, etc) and the economy - you could see better, or worse.

Here is the description:

Responsible for oversight of the day-to-day operations of Residential Networking (ResNet). Responsibilities include hiring, training, managing and mentoring staff and student employees; maintaining the ResNet technology; managing network infrastructure in residence halls and troubleshooting and resolving network problems; developing and overseeing ResNet internal policies; and overseeing the development of end-user and staff documentation.

and the requirements:

bachelor's degree (no specified field), field experience, preferred experience is in student support in a college, excellent customer service, and good troubleshooting skills.

No mention of certification, and besides, I'm training a CCNA now to take my place and he really doesn't actually know how to do all that much. Sometimes hands-on experience means more.

It is essentially what I do in my job now. A B.S. in business works since it is a management type position, and customer service. I'm perfectly capable of the necessary troubleshooting, configuration and installation of equipment and have plenty of management responsibility, as well as other management experience outside of the IT field.

I will have had 4 years of experience by the time I graduate. My responsibilities include troubleshooting and fixing any problems on the entire campus network, helping faculty, staff, and students with getting their computers correctly configured (both over the phone and on site), configuration and installation of all network switches, management of the computer labs, train faculty, staff, and students on network use, network diagrams in Visio, various other forms of documentation, backup and restore operations with Veritas, dhcp, VLANs, some active directory experience. I pretty much get a list of what needs to be done and I take care of it. I don't have anyone checking up on me, I just go and get everything done efficiently and then find out what needs to be done next. During my time here, I have upgraded the equipment in every academic building and residence hall on campus. This past summer I also took part in the data, phone, and cable tv wiring in the school's new gym. Hmm, I might be missing some stuff, but I'm not really treated as a student at work, I'm treated as the assistant network administrator. The only thing that I do not do as a student is some of the work on the core of the network. I have helped install a new core switch, a Packeteer Packershaper, and have helped with an ISP change with an addition of more T-1s.

There is no way I expect to make 60k, but I was thinking low to mid 40s was reasonable since it is in the city and at a large school.

Sounds like a low 40k job to me (considering your experience that is)... My first Admin job paid about 40k. It was with a bank (one of the big boys) and involved managing over 100 servers in a mixed environment (Novell and NT). That was about 6 years ago and that salary should be higher today, but with the recent salary adjustments due to the bubble busting they seem to have settled back down to yester years salary's. Most of the guys I know that still do that hover right around the 50k-60k mark with a number of years of experience...

$38,000 with a PPO plan, NOT AN HMO.

Make sure there's a 401k with matching of at least 3% after 1 year and get on monster.com and pull as many offerings close to that as your evidence.

Back