Netgear WNDR3700 Dual Band Wireless N Router $55 Shipped

tayunz

[H]ard DCoTM October 2018
Edit: It's recertified. Took me a while to find it.

Saw this. Seems like a good deal.

Netgear WNDR3700 Rangemax Dual Band Wireless N Router with Gigabit & USB - Twice the Bandwidth with Simultaneous High Speed Connections

49.99 + 5.00 Shipping

I'm assuming this is a refurb for this price. The site isn't clear though.

Daily Steals

I've ordered from them before. Shipping wasn't fast but everything worked our all right.

For Comparison:

Amazon

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was just about to order it but I looked it up on Newegg and the first page of feedback is all but one 1-2 star reviews, but 4 star overall. Reliability seems to be an issue. I'll have to pass.

I was just about to order it but I looked it up on Newegg and the first page of feedback is all but one 1-2 star reviews, but 4 star overall. Reliability seems to be an issue. I'll have to pass.

Yeah, if they have that many recerts it must have problems. I'm gonna do some more research.

Netgear

Hardware - no problem
Firmware - alot of problems

Currently a owner of WNDR37AV (rebrand WNDR3700v1)

This is one of the highest recommended routers in the networking subforum here. I grabbed it in the last dailysteal for $55 shipped, it was a bargain compared to the normal $130 price (looks like it's available for $120 now).

I just replaced mine. I liked it for many reasons, a few lacking features made me replace it with a Buffalo router.

The hard drive read/write throughput speeds for usb attached storage are atrocious. Like really bad. So bad I have to copy most movies to my hard drive to play them rather then play them directly from the networked drive. I also found the firmware to be very good at what it does but lacking some key features I was used to in my previous router, like being able to set specific times my nephew can and can not access the internet. The logging was lacking as well. Not being able to turn off the wifi is perhaps a seldom used feature but should be there.

For a non-technical person I would think it would be great. I also understand there are now two models of this router, the older one I picked up not to long ago, and a newer model I have not tested or tried. For the price given I suspect you would be getting the older model.

I had considered just flashing it with dd-wrt, except I read that it had been known to brick the 3700's at random.

I just ordered a wndr4000 from overstock a week ago. I probably would have bit on this. Well, at least I know mine works right.

I have this model, and there are still firmware issues as others have stated. It was so unreliable that I bought a different router and set this one up as a secondary network. This router is fantastic when it works... so I guess thats a plus?

If you get a Netgear router, you must be willing to flash it to DD-WRT. Stock Netgear firmware is junk, and it is common across all of their models.

If you get a Netgear router, you must be willing to flash it to DD-WRT. Stock Netgear firmware is junk, and it is common across all of their models.

That's presumptuous advice. I've run ddwrt on some of my routers (linksys wrt54 being notable) but by no means is it an automatic requirement. Most users have no need for the added features of ddwrt and for those people the stock Netgear firmware is often just fine. I use the (original v1) WNDR3700 with the original firmware (upgraded firmware added some features but also tended to be less stable).

For the past year, I've used the WNDR3700 along with a repeater to supply wifi to 8 total people in our apartment building. We're frequently connected simultaneously with many of us using netflix and torrents and there are no problems. Sure I'd like better logging and a few other tidbits, but it's by no means a deal-breaker especially considering the reliability/throughput.

That's presumptuous advice. I've run ddwrt on some of my routers (linksys wrt54 being notable) but by no means is it an automatic requirement. Most users have no need for the added features of ddwrt and for those people the stock Netgear firmware is often just fine. I use the (original v1) WNDR3700 with the original firmware (upgraded firmware added some features but also tended to be less stable).

For the past year, I've used the WNDR3700 along with a repeater to supply wifi to 8 total people in our apartment building. We're frequently connected simultaneously with many of us using netflix and torrents and there are no problems. Sure I'd like better logging and a few other tidbits, but it's by no means a deal-breaker especially considering the reliability/throughput.

Agreed. I have recommended and setup up countless Netgear routers for clients with stock firmware with zero issues. The 3700 has been a great performer in all cases thus far. Please don't say such generalized statements like that about good hardware.

Last edited:
Agreed. I have recommended and setup up countless Netgear routers for clients with stock firmware with zero issues. The 3700 has been a great performer in all cases thus far. Please don't say such generalized statements like about good hardware.

In my experience, all of my netgear routers have performed horribly, constantly dropping wireless connections whenever there are more than two connections, until the stock firmware was replaced by DD-WRT. And google reveals that this is not an uncommon phenomenon. It's not that the hardware is bad, but the firmware for some reason is not up to par.

In my experience, all of my netgear routers have performed horribly, constantly dropping wireless connections whenever there are more than two connections, until the stock firmware was replaced by DD-WRT. And google reveals that this is not an uncommon phenomenon. It's not that the hardware is bad, but the firmware for some reason is not up to par.

Well, I can't say you are wrong because that is your experience. And in that vain I usually set a router up for individuals who have 4 devices at the very most with only light to moderate usage. Probably not the usage model that DD-WRT is developed for. I have used DD-WRT in the past but just have not had the time or aspiration to put it on a newer model. It is wonderful software but I just can't expect a non techie to understand the "upgrade" I am installing if it works out of the box.

Now to visit the forums because I am curious again.

Back