Netflix CEO: Movie Theaters Are "Strangling The Movie Business"

HardOCP News

[H] News
I hate to say it, but I totally agree with this sentiment. The reason is simple, the worst part about seeing a new movie is the whole movie going process. There is the super high ticket prices, the $99 bag of popcorn with your $47.50 medium drink (go large for just $0.50 more) just to be crammed in a crusty theater with a hundred other people that won't stop talking or texting through the entire movie. :(

"It’s a real tragedy,” Hastings told The New Yorker editor David Remnick during the magazine’s TechFest conference in New York City, reported by USA Today. “The movie theaters are strangling the movie business. There’s [been] no innovation in distribution in movie theaters in the last 50 years. You can’t distribute a movie directly to consumers or they strike against the movie. They’ve got a lock hold on the movie studios. That’s driven flat line revenue."

While I like the idea of the movie theater, the cost and the annoyance factor is too steep. Somebody always talking or on their phone, smacking lips and eating bags of noisy candy. I also love when somebody sits right next to me in an empty theater.

Also, I've had to go get security or the cops way too many times.

It's just not the same, no respect for anybody.

I enjoy the theater experience, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for a higher end experience when available. I also thoroughly enjoy the Super Tuesday deals in the MD area. They offer $6 tickets all day Tuesday. So, even the crappiest of films become slightly more desirable to watch.

Yeah I'm pretty sure movie studios take in like 90% of ticket sales the first week, how is a movie theater going to make money on that?

Reactions: Sorce
like this
Maybe in NA; but worldwide theater revenues have increased a lot as more countries get rich. Besides, movie theaters don't prevent the studios from making money on physical media, streaming and TV broadcasts.

The only time I have a bad experience in the theater is when it's opening weekend for the movie or a weekend. I'll go during the middle of the week in the mid afternoon and the others there are there for the same reason I am, to watch the movie and not be on their phones or talk with each other.

Reactions: bos
like this
The theater here is quite nice, with their new encore experience.

Screen is large, and they have the best seats.

Worth the price to see a good movie, but not worth it for every movie.

Phoenix Theater, Mall of Monroe.

Its a little surprising to have such a nice theater experience here.

I have never had a bad experience in a movie theater. I also usually go to the $5 weekend morning show and I don't buy any food or drink. It does help that I'm single.

Whatever. Series have long passed movies as the number 1 media anyways, and they can take more chances than Hollywood with it's tired cashing-in reboot remake cinematic universe comic book crap. It's the smarter media.

Sure there are still some quality smaller films and indy releases but not all of those get theatrical releases anyway

So AMC offers a "premium" theater experience called "Dolby Theater". I went with my uncle to the one in Northpark in Dallas, TX to go see Star Trek: Beyond. Never mind that the movie sucked. But this "premier" "viewing experience" cost me FORTY DOLLARS for a Saturday afternoon showing. No drinks, no popcorn. I think the price was higher for nighttime shows, I dunno. So it was on a huge screen, maybe IMAX size... assigned seating, Dolby Atmos, and reclining leather chairs. The chairs were fairly comfy, but what happens when you have an aisle seat (which he demands)? People get up 900 times during the movie to go somewhere, and you have to lower the power reclining seats to let them pass. MAJOR PITA. Also it was the loudest movie I have ever been in..... Oh and it was a 2D showing (which I requested, I hate 3D) so no upcharge for stupid glasses etc.

Forty freaking dollars. I told him after, I hope you enjoyed this because we're NEVER DOING IT AGAIN. Cinemark would have been like $9 each for matinee (which is still too much).

So yeah, I get it. So much better in my own home, 65" 1080p HDTV, can drink what I want, use the bathroom when I want, etc etc. Movie theaters need to die.

In NYC they do have a very nice "premium theater" experience over on West 84th St & 6th Ave. (AMC 84th Street 6). Regular priced tickets, but you should reserve a few days in advance as they go fast (due to the plush leather reclining seats with cup holders and a remote for the reclining functions). Plenty of space between each seat, and each row. Cuddly couples can lower the dividers between seats. I've gone there a number of times and have yet to be disappointed. Hey, if it's a real sleeper of a film, at least you can get a better nap than you get out of most beds, lol. :D

I prefer drive-in theaters now since you basically have your own private "room" and you can bring your own food.
All the drive-in's here closed long ago. The one that I frequented as a teen quickly got knocked down after it closed and a huge building for an insurance company got built in it's place. :( Oh well, I rarely watch movies anymore anyway, and then it's at home.

The movie theaters I go to have huge (American sized) reclining seats. Choosing an appropriate time to avoid large, loud crowds is just common sense (i.e. don't go on Friday and Saturday nights).

With pretty sweet 3D glasses available now, and some really nice affordable projectors (just picked up a Epson 3500 for $800), and affordable ATMOS surround sound, you can have an amazing cinema experience right at home, either in your boxers or the superior option of netflix and chill.

There's still something to be said for sharing something socially, but to be lost in the plot and details of a movie is not something conducive of interacting with the general public. Leave that to bars, restaurants, amusement parks, etc. where being loud and noisy is part of the appeal.

For the price you pay, they need better equipment: Perfect sound and video calibration, 4K or 8K screens.

I like the experience of a big screen, and good sound... but from a technical perspective, most theaters don't hold up well.

In 50 years time I suspect you will still have few small theaters here and there for retro screenings (where it's at it's best anyway) but otherwise it's finally evolved to different level.

I go to a local theater chain which their services are pretty top notch. Cinetopia (CINETOPIA). Reserved seatings, no tolerating loud/annoying dipshits, skybox service, etc. The skybox service is leather seatings with foot rest and food before the movie starts so it's kind of neat. My brother and I went together to see Suicide Squad in the Skybox area and I ordered a chocolate dessert for myself and they brought it out with two spoons. I went "Wait a minute, they must think we're gay."

I prefer to see movies on my phone rather than going out... I work 50+ hrs and just to damn tired to do any of that shit. KODI/Exodus works fine for me. Catch up on all my TV shows/movies. I much rather spend my hard earned green on a good TV/sound System and enjoy watching people/kid free.

The talking omg, why would you pay $20 to go see a movie and then talk during it? that shit cant wait?

The movie theaters I go to have huge (American sized) reclining seats. Choosing an appropriate time to avoid large, loud crowds is just common sense (i.e. don't go on Friday and Saturday nights).
Yeah I've heard the local theater here has big recliners with a ton of leg room now as well. That's nice because at 6'6" the old setups weren't a comfortable 2 hours.

But then I think of how considerate other people were and how clean the employees kept it. Do I really want to go lay on a recliner some slob probably dumped their soda & popcorn on when they fell asleep and started drooling on it?

i like my ht set up more 55 oled tv nice 7.2 sound set up and a nice sofa. last time i went to a move was $ 35 for two tickets and no drinks or any thing.

I haven't been to a theatre in years, can't even remember the last time. I have a nice home cinema I spent a lot of money just so I could enjoy movies at home.

Too many retards with their phones playing pokimon in the theatre. Kids these days I swear....

Why would I pay $50 (4 tickets + popcorn) for a movie? I can just wait a couple months and pay $22 and buy the Blu-Ray and watch it over and over. Even if it sucks, I've still saved money.

So you're saying we should raise the cost of the Blu-ray to $100? /Movie exec

So you're saying we should raise the cost of the Blu-ray to $100? /Movie exec

You need a PhD in Business to understand the complexities of: (our costs + whatever profits we want)/number of sales = price :p

The formula is quite easy when you basically have a monopoly on new movie distribution.... or any excellent market share.

I must admit i still love going to the movies. The price is getting/already are to high though.
Most of the time its goes hand in hand with eating our for a little out of the house time with the wife.

We are both huge movie buffs and sometimes we just run out of stuff to watch and it just happens there is something we wanna so in the cinema so we go becaude we want some entertainment today.

Oh and it was a 2D showing (which I requested, I hate 3D) so no upcharge for stupid glasses etc.

I had never been to a 3d movie for a long time until earlier this year. It was a free showing (jungle book) so I thought I would give it a try assuming it was much better than it was years ago.

HATE 3D, it makes the movie almost unwatchable for me. Maybe it's my eye sight, or trying to wear the 3D glasses over my existing glasses, but it doesn't work for me.
All the action appears blurred, sometime so bad I can't even follow what's going on. Low motion and still imaged look good with good 3D effects, so I don't think it's a problem with the glasses.

Hadn't been to a theater for a few years, and unless I get another free ticket, it will likely be that last. I'd rather stay home and watch it while eating my own fresh popcorn.

I don't have most of the people issues since I prefer to go in the early afternoon, at these times the theaters are all but empty, for the most part.

what gripes me at the theater is that I have to sit in the disabled seating area as i can't handle stairs anymore. those are located right under the railing for the first row of the stadium seating and people get behind me and place their smelly feet up right next to my head, then give me a go to hell look when I politely ask them to put their feet down. or somebody brings their small child to the movie which then cries or talks loudly throughout the show. Rather just wait til it reaches bluray or netflix thank you very much.

I started to only go to "adult only 18+" Cinema Suite showings in a local theater about 2 years ago, it completely revitalize my movie going experience.

Smallish theaters that seat maybe 40 people, with nice recliners that have enough room that even with the legs extended someone can walk by. They sell beer, cocktails and wine and you can get meals delivered to your seat for some showings. The tickets only cost $2 more then "regular" seats.

You do usually have to reserve your seat ahead of time, which I think is why the people that show up are oddly more considerate, there is little to no cross talk and I have seen less cell use during the movie.

It also seems that because they have staff coming and going pretty regularly that they are quick to remove or "shush" anyone who does cause a distraction, which is very rare.

I will say that I also enjoy when they kick people out that brought kids along. Read the fucking sign people.

I said this before but the Alamo Drafthouse solves virtually all the problems most people in this thread have with theaters.
Strict no talking, texting policy. you can discreetly and anonymously tip off management about someone being obnoxious and they'll get kicked out. Parents only bring well behaved children to this theater to save themselves from embarrassment.
Tickets are $10 to $12 dollars and they offer a rewards program. Me and my girlfriend went to Magnificent 7 opening night and the ticket cost for both of us was $5 and we got free popcorn and a free drink. I ordered a couple beers during the movie and gave our waiter a nice tip so the whole evening's cost was $25.
All their screens are 4K and have extremely well designed sound systems.
You can reserve your seats ahead of time and check to see how many people are seeing the movie at the same time as you.

If I had a family I wouldn't go to the movies nearly as often, maybe a couple times per year. The past two years since I discovered Alamo has been amazing though, we've watched every movie that scores above a 7 on IMDB (unless it's some pretentious artsy crap).

All the drive-in's here closed long ago. The one that I frequented as a teen quickly got knocked down after it closed and a huge building for an insurance company got built in it's place. :( Oh well, I rarely watch movies anymore anyway, and then it's at home.

Ours is still open, and they charge by the vehicle. We packed so many people in a Tahoe once, we barely had room for beer.

Back