Need Win 8 compatible dedicated sound card suggestions

Geolith

Limp Gawd
So I finally jumped on the train of Windows 8 and, predictably, it has problems with my old Audigy 4 Pro sound card. I'm using Daniel K's Audigy Support Pack 4.5, but I still don't have CMSS2 support. Also, microphone doesn't work.

I think it's time for a new dedicated sound card. Preferably from Creative. I really don't need anything super-fancy, but here's minimum requirements:

5.1 channels
96000 Hz / 24 bit
internal, PCI-Express
CMSS2 support in Windows 8 (not entirely sure it's possible, though)

I have some Creative cards on my mind, like X-Fi Xtreme Audio, but I'm not sure about that CMSS2 and Windows 8 thing. Please advise.

Whew.... Leaping into beta drivers for a new OS for a Creative product? I'm not sure if that qualifies as brave or stupid.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Asus has updated the drivers for most ** (maybe all?) of the Xonar cards for windows 8

personally i'm a big fan of the Asus sound cards.

Thanks for the responses, people. Let me say one thing though: If you're addicted to CMSS upmix, like myself, there's really no choice but Creative. So, let's focus on that, shall we? :p

Right now, Creative doesn't have any certified Windows 8 drivers. So if you get a card, you are going to have to either use beta drivers or Windows 7 drivers.

I haven't tried any Creative cards, but other sound cards seem to run fine on Windows 8 with Windows 7 drivers.

If you want to buy right now I'd look at the X-Fi Titanium HD or the Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 or X-Fi Bravura 7.1. The Auzentech cards use Creative's X-Fi chips and drivers, so they support all the features. They just have different hardware designed (I use an Auzentech X-Fi HTHD personally, since I want HDMI).

If you are willing to wait, maybe wait for Creative's Soundblaster Z line to launch. It's their refresh to the X-Fi, supposedly with more powerful processor, new gadgets, all that kind of shit. Might be worth checking out that offering.

X-Fi Titanium HD looks like it should do the trick (and it should make a good companion for my THX certified Z-5500 speakers), although the price of €179.99 stings a bit.

What about the Titanium PCI-Express? No THX, but it surely costs a lot less (around €50).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Right now, Creative doesn't have any certified Windows 8 drivers. So if you get a card, you are going to have to either use beta drivers or Windows 7 drivers.

I haven't tried any Creative cards, but other sound cards seem to run fine on Windows 8 with Windows 7 drivers.

If you want to buy right now I'd look at the X-Fi Titanium HD or the Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 or X-Fi Bravura 7.1. The Auzentech cards use Creative's X-Fi chips and drivers, so they support all the features. They just have different hardware designed (I use an Auzentech X-Fi HTHD personally, since I want HDMI).

If you are willing to wait, maybe wait for Creative's Soundblaster Z line to launch. It's their refresh to the X-Fi, supposedly with more powerful processor, new gadgets, all that kind of shit. Might be worth checking out that offering.

I'm still rocking the XP-era X-Fi XtremeGamer low-profile in PCI with the 2.18.0015A driver recommended by Microsoft for both Windows 7 and Windows 8 (said recommendation is over/above the 2.18.0015 WHQL driver for Windows 7) because it has performed reliably and *still* meets my needs and desires for audio - the only reason I'd replace it is due to PCI slot loss. (The real issue is that may yet happen - remember, Intel's Z77 chipset has absolutely zero native PCI support.)

I'm still rocking the XP-era X-Fi XtremeGamer low-profile in PCI with the 2.18.0015A driver recommended by Microsoft for both Windows 7 and Windows 8

Well, if that card works well in Win 8, I don't see why X-Fi Xtreme Audio should not do the same. And it's PCI-E.

Well, if that card works well in Win 8, I don't see why X-Fi Xtreme Audio should not do the same. And it's PCI-E.

The Xtreme Audio is a rebranded Audigy SE, it doesn't have the EMU20K chip that real X-Fi cards have. Most of the audio processing is done in software. Don't expect the same results.

The Xtreme Audio is a rebranded Audigy SE, it doesn't have the EMU20K chip that real X-Fi cards have. Most of the audio processing is done in software. Don't expect the same results.

I suspected there was something wrong, because the Xtreme uses the drivers that are different from the rest of the X-Fi family. Thanks for clearing that up!

Also, there's the Sound Blaster Z which doesn't look bad at all, with that shielding and microphone array and stuff. But, apparently, it lacks CMSS.

OK, what about X-Fi Titanium PCI-Express then? It costs half the price of the Titanium HD, and seems to have everything I need.

Ya it looks fine, the picture shows it having a CA20K2 chip which is the latest incarnation of the X-Fi's chip (has PCIe built in). So it'll have all the features.

The Z series don't have CMMS, because they seem to have re-branded it as SBX Pro Studio. I don't know how the sound compares, not having a Z series.

Also, I see Shades of Grey is listed as a top seller in Germany too. Good to know America isn't the only country with shitty taste in literature :).

That looks like a 'real' X-Fi, however it's in another language so double check it yourself. :p

According to Wikipedia, the Titanium is based on EMU20K2, so it's definitely "real" X-Fi. And since Amazon.de usually doesn't sell fake crap, it looks like the way to go.

Ya it looks fine, the picture shows it having a CA20K2 chip which is the latest incarnation of the X-Fi's chip (has PCIe built in). So it'll have all the features.

If the picture really shows the CA20K2 chip, then it contradicts the Wikipedia info indicating that the standard Titanium, not Titanium HD, is based on EMU20K2. But either way is fine with me.

The Z series don't have CMMS, because they seem to have re-branded it as SBX Pro Studio. I don't know how the sound compares, not having a Z series.

Since I also have no idea what to make of that SBX, I probably should stick to the good old CMSS.

Also, I see Shades of Grey is listed as a top seller in Germany too. Good to know America isn't the only country with shitty taste in literature :).

:D

Amazon.de only has used ones left, but I've found new ones on Pixmania, for around 297 LTL, which is roughly $170. Not exactly the deal of the century, but it will do.

Thanks everyone! You've been a tremendous [H]elp. :)

Grab a used one, its just a sound card. Very difficult item to damage through neglect or overclocking :p

Get the Z, I have one, positional audio is awesome on it. Don't know what it will be like under windows 8 because I am using it on windows 7.

Get the Z, I have one, positional audio is awesome on it. Don't know what it will be like under windows 8 because I am using it on windows 7.

Titanium arrives tomorrow, so there's little point in any more suggestions. Thanks for your input, nonetheless. :)

Titanium arrives tomorrow, so there's little point in any more suggestions. Thanks for your input, nonetheless. :)

Oh, ok. Good luck with it :) I just know one person on these forums who has compared the Titanium to the Z and found the Z better.

Back