need video card with TV out

winuser2000

Limp Gawd
Ok so my friend is going to be making a HTPC kind of thing and the computer he is using is kind of old and it has a video card. There are a few different routes he could take
1. Use my geforce 3 that has video out but you can't adjust the size of the picture and I removed the fan on it because it wasn't spinning very fast and it was making alot of noise so I would need a new fan.
2. Use an external PC to TV convertor.
3. Get a new video card that has TV out. In my experience the TV out hasn't been all that great with video cards. My 9800 has TV out and it doesn't look all that great.
What do u guys think is the best way to go? If number 3 then what card should I get? He is hoping to spend about 30 dollars on the card

Get a new card and use either TvTools (NV) or Powerstrip (ATI) to tweak the image.
I've seen a few GF3 cards that have horrible tvout (just my personal experience) enough to forget about ever using that card. GF4 series have pretty good tvout though

Most consistantely good TV-out is done by 'Made by ATI' cards. 'Powered by ATI' usually aren't as good.

The Asus "Deluxe" cards (both ATi and nVidia) consistently have great TV-out. My old GeForce DDR (Asus V6800 Deluxe) had nearly flawless TV-out (s-video and composite). The vid capture was pretty good too, though I could only do about 320x240 without dropping frames, I think that was a limitation of my Duron box at the time though.

Back