Need some redundant, network attached storage cheap...any ideas?

Cwllr

Limp Gawd
I'm in a dorm room, I have my main PC and the laptop that I take to classes. Both go into a router which goes into the wall jack, so they both have internet access. I'm worried about Murphy's law catching up to me now in my Senior year, I haven't really had any huge problems with losing data, and I've got some big projects coming up, and want some good storage, but on a budget. I know that's not the best combination, but I don't need a huge amount of space.

The one option that looks somewhat promising is the Linksys NSLU2 device, which attaches to the network, and then lets you plug two USB 2.0 devices into it. It's not RAID, but you can set the device up to backup the data from one drive to the other at whatever interval you want. Anyone else tried this device out? I've read of it's hackability, but not too interested in that. If I could get a good deal on that and two enclosures of good size, it could be a good deal. Ideally, it'd be under $300, maybe even closer to $200. Really depending on the enclosures/hd's...I'd have to find some nice quiet enclosures as well since I'll probably leave the thing on all the time anyway.

I haven't really seen any other inexpensive devices of this nature that offer network connectivity and RAID...any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Just bought a Synology DS-101 disk server http://www.synology.com/ . Took a liitle while before my router picked it up, but seems to be working great now.I've fitted a 300 gig Maxtor 5400RPM IDE hard drive for storing videos etc. for my Meedio HTPC setup. The unit has 2 USB ports for either 2 additional USB hard drives, or one hard drive and a printer. It also acts as an FTP server, although i haven't looked into how secure it is.

Back