Need some help sharing a folder. Linux Mint

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I'm stuck here. Google return gibberish. :dead:

Screenshot from 2023-11-10 14-14-50.png

The filesystem permissions are set to disallow other users from writing to the directory, or reading from it or one above it (which is a common default for home directories). The dialog (a front-end for Samba it appears) is noting that you're trying to set filesharing permissions that conflict.

You could put a shared directory just about anywhere (with a few mostly obvious exceptions like /tmp and /proc). A new directory in /home not specifically any user's home directory and given the proper filesystem permissions would be fine.

The filesystem permissions are set to disallow other users from writing to the directory, or reading from it or one above it (which is a common default for home directories). The dialog (a front-end for Samba it appears) is noting that you're trying to set filesharing permissions that conflict.

You could put a shared directory just about anywhere (with a few mostly obvious exceptions like /tmp and /proc). A new directory in /home not specifically any user's home directory and given the proper filesystem permissions would be fine.

Thanks. The shared folder (directory?) is in the home directory. How do I go about creating another directory that's not a part of the home directory? All I see is Home at the top and everything else is below it.

In the terminal:
Bash:
cd /home
sudo mkdir ./shared
sudo chown <user>:<group> ./shared   # optional, set the owner/group to something other than root
sudo chmod a=rwx ./shared   # set the directory to be fully readable/writable/executable for all, modify as needed

In the terminal:
Bash:
cd /home
sudo mkdir ./shared
sudo chown <user>:<group> ./shared   # optional, set the owner/group to something other than root
sudo chmod a=rwx ./shared   # set the directory to be fully readable/writable/executable for all, modify as needed

Thank you sir. Question about the owner / group. I just need the folder to be accessible to whoever needs to access it. Owner / group are irrelevant, it's for local use only and only by me. It will be used for my Blue Iris clip storage and for nothing else and the box will not be accessible from the ox, only the Blue Iris box will be.

Also currently there's a folder called SHARED in the home folder, is this different from sudo mkdir ./shared ? (other than being capitalized)

Thank you sir. Question about the owner / group. I just need the folder to be accessible to whoever needs to access it. Owner / group are irrelevant, it's for local use only and only by me. It will be used for my Blue Iris clip storage and for nothing else and the box will not be accessible from the ox, only the Blue Iris box will be.

Also currently there's a folder called SHARED in the home folder, is this different from sudo mkdir ./shared ? (other than being capitalized)
Owner/Group are very relevant for Linux and sharing. I am confused now what you are trying to share if you aren't looking to share the directory (i.e. local only and only by a single user)... but are trying to share it. What is the use case here beyond wanting a place to place clips from the Blue Iris software (that I am assuming will be run on the same machine)?
If you just want a folder that is accessible by all users on that PC, make a new directory (I personally put all my "shareable" stuff in /media/, i would usually recommend against trying to share stuff in a user /home/) like "sudo mkdir /media/YOURFOLDERNAME". Make a new group, "sudo groupadd YOURGROUPNAME". Add users to the group "sudo usermod -aG YOURGROUPNAME USER1". Set ownership of the folder to the group, "sudo chgrp YOURGROUPNAME /media/YOURFOLDERNAME". Set permissions to full for the group "sudo chmod 2770 /media/YOURFOLDERNAME". Set group ID for all new files and subdirectories, "sudo chmod g+s /media/YOURFOLDERNAME". Now set read/write for all users on the directory, "sudo chmod -R g+rw /media/YOURFOLDERNAME". Log out and back in and everything should be working.

Owner/Group are very relevant for Linux and sharing. I am confused now what you are trying to share if you aren't looking to share the directory (i.e. local only and only by a single user)... but are trying to share it. What is the use case here beyond wanting a place to place clips from the Blue Iris software (that I am assuming will be run on the same machine)?
If you just want a folder that is accessible by all users on that PC, make a new directory (I personally put all my "shareable" stuff in /media/, i would usually recommend against trying to share stuff in a user /home/) like "sudo mkdir /media/YOURFOLDERNAME". Make a new group, "sudo groupadd YOURGROUPNAME". Add users to the group "sudo usermod -aG YOURGROUPNAME USER1". Set ownership of the folder to the group, "sudo chgrp YOURGROUPNAME /media/YOURFOLDERNAME". Set permissions to full for the group "sudo chmod 2770 /media/YOURFOLDERNAME". Set group ID for all new files and subdirectories, "sudo chmod g+s /media/YOURFOLDERNAME". Now set read/write for all users on the directory, "sudo chmod -R g+rw /media/YOURFOLDERNAME". Log out and back in and everything should be working.

The Linux box in question is a Moderro Tiny PC with a 1.92 TB SSD installed. It will be hidden as a security measure. An alternative to off site storage of the clips. This is strictly to prevent the clip storage from being stolen and for no other purpose.
Also, just so I understand, Windows calls it Workgroup, is this the same thing as a group in Linux? All of my computer are Workgroup, even the Linux boxes which was auto assigned during install. But still, I've been tripped up by terminology meaning between Windows and Linux before so I thought I'd ask.
Thanks.

Workgroup would be more network sharing related and "machine based", without getting into things too deep and technical on networking. Linux groups are for security/permissions. In Linux you can set who can edit and even access a file using user permissions, but if you have a bunch of users you want to have the same permission, you just make a group, add all the users to that group, and then set the permissions at the group level. When connecting to a share on a network, you connect using a user name and password. That user needs to exist on whatever machine is being connected to, and would have permissions based on group and direct user permissions set on the filesystem.
Also, local to me means on same machine, not on the same network.

After spending days trying to get Linux sharing to work, after spending hours and hours following instructions found on Google, after seeking help here and not being able to get it to work I have reluctantly decide to go back to Windows where sharing is click click, done. All the instructions found on the web are comprised of several pages of steps and each set of steps are different. All instructions included steps than don't apply to my system because setting, etc, don't exist. Some steps return an error that just as well be Chinese.

Linux sharing is Bullshit. Sharing is area where Windows makes Linux look like garbage. Hopefully this will change in the future. Until then I'm forced to use an OS I hate and despise. :(

Windows sharing is definitely a lot simpler in many ways, but I prefer Linux. That said, my network is a close to even split of Windows vs Linux. If most every machine you have is Windows, then Windows is probably preferable.

Windows sharing is definitely a lot simpler in many ways, but I prefer Linux. That said, my network is a close to even split of Windows vs Linux. If most every machine you have is Windows, then Windows is probably preferable.

In this particular instance, the sharing will be strictly local and won't involve the Internet (Except for Blue Iris access and that's taken care of by Blue Iris). If there was a need for super secret security I would have persevered but since there isn't it got aggravating to the point where I just said fuckit and moved on. Im no Windows fan but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Linux has never been about usability. Hopefully that will change in the future.

To me, local means same machine, different users. Local network, means internal network, not past the firewall.
I would say Linux is actually about usability but mainly for complex use cases. There is a reason that in the wild a large portion of file share platforms are linux based.

To me, local means same machine, different users. Local network, means internal network, not past the firewall.
I would say Linux is actually about usability but mainly for complex use cases. There is a reason that in the wild a large portion of file share platforms are linux based.

No doubt it can be done and there are people out there who know how to do it. But google proved to be worst than useless in finding an answer. As I've said before, the vast majority of Linux info on the web is either outdated, wrong and worst of all, written by someone who fills their assay with more cutsy humor than knowledge.
Anyway, It's all water under the bridge now and Windows 10 is installed and the folder is successfully shared. What proved to be impossible in Linux was easy as can be in Windows. nuff said.

Back