Need some help installing a program

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Trying to install Balena-Etcher on Linux Mint and I've run into what appears to be some code monkey stupid shitedness.

The instructions say

Code:
sudo apt install ./balena-etcher_******_amd64.deb

Linux Mint says

Code:
E: Unsupported file ./balena-etcher_******_amd64.deb given on commandline

The instructions say nothing about what the asterisks are and I suspect they might be the problem.

Any help mucho appreciated.

Well hell, never mind. I dug a little deeper and found some instructions that made sense and worked. The Internet is full of garbage. :mad:

Last edited:
Trying to install Balena-Etcher on Linux Mint and I've run into what appears to be some code monkey stupid shitedness.

The instructions say

Code:
sudo apt install ./balena-etcher_******_amd64.deb

Linux Mint says

Code:
E: Unsupported file ./balena-etcher_******_amd64.deb given on commandline

The instructions say nothing about what the asterisks are and I suspect they might be the problem.

Any help mucho appreciated.

Well hell, never mind. I dug a little deeper and found some instructions that made sense and worked. The Internet is full of garbage. :mad:

The asterisks are the version number. Assuming you downloaded the latest v1.18.13 version, the command in terminal would be:

sudo apt install ./balena-etcher_1.18.13_amd64.deb

Yeah, those stars aren't a valid character for a file name. It's a "glob" or wildcard.
Say,
mkdir jpegs (make directory for jpegs)
mv *.jpg jpegs (move everything with the jpg extension from the current directory to jpegs)

Back