Need some feedback / advice for new 4k high refresh rate monitor

dvsman

2[H]4U
I need some [H] advice on a possible new display, guys / gals. I haven't been following the news, so I'm way out of the loop on what's fresh.

For reference - I've had the following monitors
  • 40" 4K @60hz (No name Korean eBay special)
  • 49" 3840x1080 ultrawide 144hz (Monoprice Darkmoon something or other - currently bedroom PC on a Radeon VII)
  • 34" 3440x1440 @60hz (Dell 3415 used as display 2 on gaming PC)
  • 34" 3440x1440 @120hz (AW3418DW used as display 1 on my gaming PC)
  • 65" LG OLED display (E7 LG TV which is my home theater PC display)
This will replace the primary display (Alienware).

While they were all great for the short term, I've realized that I need more square display (verticals for spreadsheets, reading PDFs etc) than the ultrawides which, besides requiring game support (most are ok but some aren't) also require neck craning and side eye-scrolling, which I found cool at first but not over the long term.

Ideally what I'm searching for is between 30-40" 4k with a high refresh rate and IPS or VA (image quality over refresh rate if its one or the other). It will be driven by a 3090 so GPU should not be an issue.

As for use case - although I usually like RPG type games (Baldur's Gate or Pillars of Eternity, I also like to play Division 2 (and similar like Outriders) with friends - this is beyond the usual YouTube and work related things.

Price range is between $1-2K but of course the cheaper the better. Thanks in advance :-D

Have you considered the LG OLED 48” CX? I bought one to replace my 27” 144Hz IPS and it’s a stunner. My 3070 allows me to play most games cranked at 4k. Your 3090 should not break a sweat.

Thanks for the reply, man. I would love to but I want to downsize a little. I looked at the 48" oled lg cx (?) But its still a little bigger than I want. I think I'd be pretty happy with maybe low 30s inches diagonal wise.

I'm currently using my old Dell 3011 in my office setup and am surprisingly happy with that square size so might go in that direction maybe?

I've a bunch threads on the upcoming 32 inch high refresh 4k panels. Short story - they're not out yet... But might show up this summer. Expect high price.

My focus is on ips so you might find a VA / TN that I've ignored.

DarkSideA8 Is there a specific model that peaks your interest at the moment? I just started looking so will start reading up on them now.

If you go through my 32 inch thread, we are most hopeful that the Asus and Viewsonic will actually see the light of day this year. Ofc I felt that way after Asus announced at CES 2020... But the Asus never showed up - and then was presented again at CES 2021.

Acer has been virtually silent and the Phillips has little info. I link to a TFT article that hypes hope, but I'm only cautiously optimistic.

Asus, Acer and Viewsonic all purportedly use the same AUO panel - which is supposed to be in production. But Taiwan has been hit with everything from Covid lock downs to weather related shortages to material supply constraints... All contributing to uncertainty.

The LG was supposed to be a late 2021 item - and it would disappoint but not surprise me if they were first to market.

Clear as mud?

Back