Need some advice on a 12v CPU extension cable.

alf717

Gawd
Just put together PC and the 8pin connector that goes to the motherboard next to the CPU is really tight. I want to buy an extension cable but how do I know which cable to buy without crossing the wires and shorting out my motherboard. The PSU is a 600W OCZ Mod X stream pro and motherboard is a Gigabyte ga-970a-ud3.

There are pre-made extension cables that are properly wired.

There are pre-made extension cables that are properly wired.

Thanks, could you suggest a brand? I was reading reviews on Newegg and a few of the reviews mentioned that some of the wires needed to be swapped for certain brands of PSUs. I think I found one but any suggestions would be great. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Here's an example of pretty nice premade,single braid cables.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=34_804_764&products_id=28152

Modright and NZXT are pretty popular.

What you need to look at is the end which attaches your PSU to the MB.. Look at the pattern of the shapes of each slot and make sure they co-incide. You can see them in the enlarged pictures.
Most companies make a pretty standard connector, due to the fact that the MB end is a standard ATX pinout, and your extension mates to this standard end, not the PSU end which can be proprietary.

Hope that makes sense.:p

Back