Need recommendations

MisterClean

2[H]4U
So, it started out with me wanting a headset for my laptop. The laptop mic sucks and I wasn't really able to use Skype or TS3 very well.

But then fell down the audiophile rabbit hole (again lol). Now I'm looking at doing a complete upgrade for my mobile gaming audio. I don't really want to spend much more than 400 total, and everything must be purchased on amazon (need the 2 day shipping, it's complicated).

So, I've pretty much decided I'm going to bite the bullet and get a schiit stack. That leaves me around 200ish for headphones, and I'll need to get a mic as well.

What can you guys recommend for gaming and music? I'm not much of an FPSer right now, but I would like some immersion for rpgs etc, I would say better music quality with an emphasis on a wider soundstage and some decent bass would be my goals. I listen mostly to Americana/folk rock with some blues thrown in. I don't plan on using any virtual surround systems.

Short list right now are the Dt990 250 ohms, and the 598s, but there seems to be a lot of options in the 150-300 dollar range, so I'm sort of lost. So any help would be appreciated. BTW I did read the head-fi threads on gaming headsets, and walked away even more confused lol.

Also, can someone throw out a cheap rec for a mic that will work well for TS3? just a prime eligible clip on, or something else?

Edit:also forgot about the fidelio x1, I think those are in the top spot right niw, they're a little more expensive at 250, but I've heard really good things, and I could use the v-moda boom Mic with them ( which is also stupidly priced)

Last edited:
Well, I went ahead and bought the antlion modmic. Now I just need to decide on a set of headphones to match the schiit magni and modi.

I guess I'm between the Fidelio X1, Senn 598 (maybe 600?) DR990 (250 ohm or 600 ohm?) Maybe the HE-400. I've sort of expanded my budget a little depending on the quality of the headphones, also I've looked around and found a few good deals on a few of them. I just need to decide what's right for me.

One thing is, if I go for a low impedance one, like the Fidelio x1, I'll probably skip the pricy schiit stack, and just pick up a cheaper fiio dac/amp

I think I've talked myself into getting the HE-400 and the m&m schiit stack. Just worried that it won't be comfortable. Any thoughts?

I think I've talked myself into getting the HE-400 and the m&m schiit stack. Just worried that it won't be comfortable. Any thoughts?

Yeah either get the X1 or just go with a Stax setup. Essentially, it isn't worth getting the 400s and the amp/dac. You are looking at a different flavor of sound and maybe a 5% improvement in overall sound quality and detail.

Either get the best entry level combo like the X1 or just go balls deep with Stax.

This is just my opinion after years of headphones. Not saying I am right but......

Not a fan of the HE-400's. They sound fun, but aren't very comfortable (heavy, large, don't do anything to conform to your head), so I never use them for very long before I go back to the HD650's (my favorite 'cans, but a bit expensive for your budget).

If I had to choose, I'd get the Fidelio X1's...but that's mainly because I haven't had a chance to try them yet and really want to.

I'm not sure if you need to order today, but if you can wait there are usually a variety of deals on headphones as we approach black friday. I'd love to pick up a pair of X1's if they get back into the $150 range...

Problem is, I'm out of the country, so I have to have everything i want before my friend flies back here on the 23rd. that's why I'm looking at amazon, for Prime shipping.

I figure I have a budget of around 500 for amp/dac/headphones. The HD 650 are on my short list, but it's juuuust out of budget (used) if i get the M&M, and I hear you really need a good dac/amp to wake them up. The other concern I have about the 650, is everyone says they are a bit relaxed, and the bass isn't very pronounced. I do enjoy bass quite a bit., that's one of the things that sounded appealing about the HE400, they say they are good "fun" phones, and have nice bass, especially amped.

Problem is, I'm out of the country, so I have to have everything i want before my friend flies back here on the 23rd. that's why I'm looking at amazon, for Prime shipping.

I figure I have a budget of around 500 for amp/dac/headphones. The HD 650 are on my short list, but it's juuuust out of budget (used) if i get the M&M, and I hear you really need a good dac/amp to wake them up. The other concern I have about the 650, is everyone says they are a bit relaxed, and the bass isn't very pronounced. I do enjoy bass quite a bit., that's one of the things that sounded appealing about the HE400, they say they are good "fun" phones, and have nice bass, especially amped.

Oh in that case, let me assure you, the HE-400 bass is not what you're looking for. Good quality? Sure, the planar drivers do get low. Quantity? Decidedly lacking.

Still say Fidelio X1...

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning X1. With the X1 I don't really need a fancy dac/amp stack, I could just use the regular laptop output (msi gt60 2od...not really sure how good the onboard sound is), or if I really wanted to, get a decent dac and use my mini^3 amp.

But how do they compare to the DT990 (250ohm - cheaper, 600 ohm more pricy) which are also in the price range (250-300ish), and are there any others I should consider? Downside to the DT990 is I would probably need an amp to get the most out of them (not sure if my mini^3 could do it?)

I just bit the bullet and bought the Fidelio X1, at 220 in like new condition on Amazon, I had to do it. otherwise I would be wishy-washy until it is too late. I imagine I will be very happy with them.

Back