Need recommendations on prescott air cooling

evt

Limp Gawd
After salvaging parts from my friend to build a computer for my cousin, I am suprised that I could have a 3.2ghz prescott cpu, and I knew that these cpus run super hot.

Upon cleaning the cpu and its stock HSF, and checked that the cpu fan is spinning, I powered on the computer and I left it in BIOS for a minute or so to get its idle temperature. After coming back, the temperatures reached 77C! I immedately turned off the computer and let the HSF to cool down. I took off the HSF and reapplied the thermal paste, but it didnt do any good. (I already checked to see if the cpu and paste made contact with the HSF).

Now the problem is that I cant use a large aftermarket cooler, such as the zalman 9700cu because the socket is positioned up on top of the mobo near the PSU, and with the stock HSF, theres only about 0.75" of clearence between the HSF and the PSU. Does anyone have any recommendations for something that is similar sized to the intel HSF, but would cool much better?

I own two 3.2e cpu s and one is WC and other is cooled by a CPN9500 and i get to 3.6ghz with one and the other will do 3.8ghz both will do over 4ghz .
the zalman kept the cpus at roughly mid to high 30c
combined with a 6800gt will keep u goin for a while

Back