Need QUAD VGA Video card.

USF-Nealio

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for an inexpensive graphics card that supports 4 VGA monitors. It's not for gaming, just displaying mostly static information.

Here's what I've found:
  • NVS 440. The tech is getting pretty old (GeForce 6 era), but I can get PCIe x1.
  • Galaxy MDT GT520/610. Techically supports 4, but only in some strange span mode that reviewers often complained about.
  • Visiontek 5570 900366. Perfect card, but still pretty expensive.
  • Firepro 2450 Multi-View. A little old (HD 3xxx era), but looks to fit the bill. Slightly more than I was wanting to pay.

Visiontek also has the 900345, which can be found for much cheaper. It appears to be the same card, but comes with 4xDVI-D. I can buy the correct adapter, but I don't want to waste my money if it's not going to work.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The firepro 2450 can be had on Ebay for around $60 shipped.

How much are you looking to spend?

Do you have more than one available PCIe slot?

You can run multiple video cards.. Even ATI and Nvidia cards will run together just fine.

If running two from the same company, make sure that they have support in the save driver package.

Visiontek also has the 900345, which can be found for much cheaper. It appears to be the same card, but comes with 4xDVI-D. I can buy the correct adapter, but I don't want to waste my money if it's not going to work.

Thoughts?

You can't use dvi to vga adapters with that. You will notice the dvi connectors are missing the 4 pin holes around the slot, the adapters aren't going to fit.

That and the very bottom of the newegg product page in big red letters says:
*** Card support digital DVI output only. VGA monitors are not supported.

The computer already has a HD 7950 that will be used for gaming, but I have 2 x16 slots (1 already in use) and an x1 slot. I would like to save the x1 for a sound card or wireless adapter if at all possible, hence the single card option.

I was also leaning toward the 2450, since it would share a driver package (for now). I would like to keep the cost around $50, but I'd be willing to pay more for a newer card if it would last me longer.

You can't use dvi to vga adapters with that. You will notice the dvi connectors are missing the 4 pin holes around the slot, the adapters aren't going to fit.

That and the very bottom of the newegg product page in big red letters says:

Correct, but there is a VHDCI to 4xVGA adapter that would connect directly to the card.

201193094219527.gif

Other than the dongle, the 2 cards appear identical.

The computer already has a HD 7950 that will be used for gaming, but I have 2 x16 slots (1 already in use) and an x1 slot. I would like to save the x1 for a sound card or wireless adapter if at all possible, hence the single card option.

I was also leaning toward the 2450, since it would share a driver package (for now). I would like to keep the cost around $50, but I'd be willing to pay more for a newer card if it would last me longer.

The firepro and regular ATI cards are different driver packages. Who knows if the regular driver package would work with the firepro card.

What outputs does your 7950 have?

Do you just need 4 monitors total?

The firepro and regular ATI cards are different driver packages. Who knows if the regular driver package would work with the firepro card.

What outputs does your 7950 have?

Do you just need 4 monitors total?

I'm not opposed to having different drivers, as long as they don't openly conflict with each other.

I need to connect 4 monitors in addition to the monitors connected to my HD-7950.

Will the firepro card run on the standard Radeon drivers, or some sort of Windows update based driver?

Use a pair of older Nvidia cards, with VGA+DVI(I). Don't bother with Displayport or converters. Source? Just did this myself for a customer - Those Powercolor R250 Eyefinity cards are *GARBAGE*.

How about this?

Just re-read... Probably not gonna do VGA. Sorry.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have the extra monitors already? If not...have you considered going the route of small USB monitors?

If you already have the monitors, then NVS all the way for the most simplistic plug-and-play multi-display solution available.

Back