Need Opinions from expiranced geeks and gurus

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
For my system I always like to acheive maximum overall performance... so I have 2 - 36GB WD Raptors in Raid 0 right now... on my ICH5R 16K Strip

would 1 U320 15000RPM Seagate Cheeta and Adaptec U320 Card in my current system be faster?

Thanks

Yes it would be faster but unless your really hurting for speed its not worth the money to go SCSI.

Another vote for yes, and like said above, you really wont notice any sort of difference.

GL:D

Well the difference between 10,000rpm and 7200rpm is definately noticeable so i would say he'd see a good difference in 15,000rpm since thats a 5,000rpm difference compared to just 2800rpm between the 10,000 and 7,200. How much difference i couldn't say because i dont have an SCSI array.

It all depends on what he does on whether the speed increase will help him out any because for the majority of people its not worth the cost for the increase in hard drive speed.

It will most likely be faster, but the costs just don't outweigh the slight performance gains for me (maybe not for you). I'm still stuck in the 7200 RPM days!

It would certainly be faster, but you'd only notice like these guys have been saying if you were into video editing or server-ops or something...

It would be faster even tho the SATA raid is controlled by the Chipset

and the Adaper card would be PCI 33mhz.....?

Honestly, it wouldn't be worth it unless you had a motherboard that could support the throughput of the SCSI bus, ie server boards with PCI-X or 64bit/66MHz PCI slots. All of the Ultra320 cards (Adaptec specifically) I've seen are PCI-X. They'll work in 32bit slots, but the PCI bus would just end up being a bottleneck for the HBA...

I'd stick with SATA because when it's onboard, you'll be able to hit the 150 MB/s throughput because it's able to bypass the PCI bus.

Originally posted by Poop
Honestly, it wouldn't be worth it unless you had a motherboard that could support the throughput of the SCSI bus, ie server boards with PCI-X or 64bit/66MHz PCI slots. All of the Ultra320 cards (Adaptec specifically) I've seen are PCI-X. They'll work in 32bit slots, but the PCI bus would just end up being a bottleneck for the HBA...

I'd stick with SATA because when it's onboard, you'll be able to hit the 150 MB/s throughput because it's able to bypass the PCI bus.
Agree with most of the first paragraph, but I have to question the validity of pretty much everything in the second. SATA - while rated at 150 Mb/s will almost never reach that level of throughput. No IDE, or SATA, or SCSI Standard that I can _ever_ remember has lived up to it's promised thoughput rating. Even the Best SATA Controllers are usually only capable of burst transfers at about 90 Mb/s. Also onboard SATA controllers are still attached to the PCI bus in my understanding - but I could be a little fuzzy on that one...

Also remember that throughput isn't everything - in realtime environments sometimes access time is pretty important - which is one of the things that 15,000 RPM drives can deliver.

IE: A seagate barracuda V SATA has a 9ms average access time, where the cheetah we are talking about here sports a 3.6ms time. Just for comparison the WD Raptor has a 5.2ms time...

Now is joe-bob-computer-user-guy gonna notice the difference? He's more likely to notice that his computer sounds like an electric meat slicer with the cheetah installed - but to each his own I suppose.

Back