Need new Video Card - 4870 - 275 - 280

Speedo68

Limp Gawd
Crappers, just partially lost a Video Card last night. PC works, but old Video Card is busted, GTX9800x2. I have a $250~275 budget as I paid $250 for new 9800x2 around 18 months ago. I was wondering whats the best option for that price. Looked at NewEgg and see I could either get a ATI 4890 or GTX 280 for around $250. I could also wait for GTX 275 if it is really better. (Using 3rd GTX285 from main gaming rig atm)...

PC has QX9650, P5E3 Premium, 4gb DDR3 1600, 850w PSU, 2 x 300gb Velocoraptors, 2 x 1tb Seagate, Plextor DVD-RW, Sonar PCI sound card, Xeno Killer Nic.

I just need stable 1600x1200 video for gaming on 27" monitor...

Or I could just scrap this old PC and upgrade to a Asus Z8PE-D12X and 2 X5570 I have sitting at the kitchen table...

I would get a 55nm tech card. gtx 275 or xfx 4890 because of double lifetime warranty. Also resale of newer cards will stay higher longer.

Thanks for the good info. I don't care about re-sale value. I usually pass of my old tech to friends or brother-in-laws. I usually build 3~4 new pc's a year. Just wanted a video card that would go with this level of tech...

I have 5 gaming desktop pc's right now. This is the 2nd oldest compared to Dell XPS 720 I have. I'm just thinking that it's time to retire this PC. 18 months is pretty old pc for me. QX9650 is OK. But want a 2nd Nehelem EP system. Love the 8 cores of Intel lovin...

Still have Asus MB and 2 x5570's to go with 2 NVidia Quadro FX 5800's for Video Rendering. I'll just use it for Gaming also..

I'll look at EBay and talk to EVGA again about repair for this 9800 GX2. Then ship this pc over to my Brother-in-Law over in Colleyville...

Thanks...

ok, gtx 280 is the older tech, gtx 275 is just as fast if not faster, and newer tech. since you do so many builds a year, you should know the answer to your own question here really.

get the 4890, at stock its about 275/280 performance and OC's to beyond 285

Well, maybe he's spending time building/playing as opposed to trolling forums and coming up with snide remarks. :rolleyes: I build a half-dozen machines per year, too, but it's tough to keep up with everything....especially with NV's naming/renaming system.

Yeah, I play a lot of Video Games. Plus travel/work keeps me busy. I do know about the NV renaming, GTX250=9800GT. Just looking for input.

I was just looking for an equilivant to this failed 9800 GX2. I just got a refund from AMEX for $250 I paid for this card. I still don't know if I will replace with 4890 1gb or GTX 280 1gb card. Just a stock card, I will not be overclocking at all. Leaning toward the BFG GTX 280 running at 612mhz clock speed. Found for $265 at local Frys.

I do overclock/watercool/vaporchill some PCs. But not all. Especially since I usually have a good 12~15 PCs, 4~6 Servers, and 8 laptops at any time. Was just wanting some informed opionions about those video cards.

Thanks

except in games that scale really well in sli, the 280 or 275 should perform as well as a 9800gx2

Or I could just scrap this old PC and upgrade to a Asus Z8PE-D12X and 2 X5570 I have sitting at the kitchen table...

!!! That is still one hulluva setup you have!!! Get a 4890 or 4850x2. Why upgrade everything?

The advantage nVidia has over ATi is with running folding @ home... ATi is still considerably behind nVidia in this aspect, afaik. Its one reason I've chosen nVidia for my last few upgrades.

I'd recommend the 275 over the 280 for a few reasons... less power consumption, 6+6 instead of 8+6 for power, which means less heat, and more OC potential. If folding doesn't affect your decision, probably the ATi solution would be the way to go... and more motherboards support x-fire than sli, especially in the s775 and AM3/2+/2 areas.

Why does ati lag in folding at home, does it use double percision calc compared to single percision?

I know the nvidia cards do double much better then ati does, based on differences in design choices.

Why upgrade?

Good question. I have a lot of newer hardware sitting at the house. I just got back from 6 week work assignment in Taipei and Malaysia. So I have 2 additional Nehalem EP systems I will build this week. Have plenty of video cards since I still have to validate some Quadro FX 5800/4800s in the next 6~8 weeks.

Only have 2 QX9650s left in the house, they are the oldest/slowest atm. So replacing both with dual Nehalem EPs systems. 1st will be another W5580 system with dual FX 5800. 2nd will be a X5570 with dual FX4800s. HAve to play around with a couple of GTX 275 I should get in another week or 2.

BTW, I just purchased the BFG 280 GTX for $260. It seems faster in all of the newer games. Runs at the slightly lower temps (68C vs 76C). Should be a good gaming PC for my brother-in-law.

I really don't scrap old PCs. I just hand them down. I go by Moore's law with most of my PC hardware. I will give the QX9650/GTX 280 PC to my brother-in-law. Brother-in-Law's Q9550 w/ 4870 1gb will go to son. Son's Q6700 w/ dual 9800GTs will be passed to my Dad. Dad will retire his E8400 w/ 8800GTS. Wipe the HD's and find a cousin or uncle to give too...

How did you get a 9800Gx2 18 months ago, when the card was released last year on March 18?

Additionally how did you pay only 250 when the card was retailing for 599 less than 13 months ago?

Why upgrade?

Good question. I have a lot of newer hardware sitting at the house. I just got back from 6 week work assignment in Taipei and Malaysia. So I have 2 additional Nehalem EP systems I will build this week. Have plenty of video cards since I still have to validate some Quadro FX 5800/4800s in the next 6~8 weeks.

Only have 2 QX9650s left in the house, they are the oldest/slowest atm. So replacing both with dual Nehalem EPs systems. 1st will be another W5580 system with dual FX 5800. 2nd will be a X5570 with dual FX4800s. HAve to play around with a couple of GTX 275 I should get in another week or 2.

BTW, I just purchased the BFG 280 GTX for $260. It seems faster in all of the newer games. Runs at the slightly lower temps (68C vs 76C). Should be a good gaming PC for my brother-in-law.

I'm jealous

Why upgrade?

Damn... that's my dream family right there!

Either you have no savings or you make BANK! What do you do for a living? :c)

My bad, originally had 2x 9800gtx but replaced with 9800 GX2. I bought the card at a PC Wholesaler discount for $269.87 in April of 2008. I have the reciept and AMEX statement. I buy a lot of product from PC Wholesaler, about $150,000 a month on average. So they always give me at least 35% discount on wholesale price. I have several business' in Texas that I need to provide Servers/Workstations/Power PCs. I just qualified the new Nehalem EP X5570/W5580's. Have to build 80 8-core workstations. Don't know if they want the Quadro FX 4800 or Quadro FX 4800. Still have 4 AMD Phenom II 940s I don't have the heart to humilate. I'm not an Intel fan-boius, just want the most powerful CPU/Video reguardless of cost. I usually have Dell Precision laptops and workstations for everyday use. I just ordered 28 Dell M6400 laptops and 18 Dell T5500 workstations for a new office I'm opening.

I have several pet programming/video content groups that I setup their hardware. So I have a few items laying around the house all the time. I have several config's in my tech room. It's about 1800sqft and allows me to benchmark, stress test, and validate hardware.

As for $$$. I do not really need to work, just like to keep busy. I pay attention to tech release's and attent CeBit/IDF/E3 and so on. I do some driver programing on the side, so know a few people in the PC industy. Dabbled in Wafer-Fab, Semiconductor Design and have a few patents. So easy street for last 6~7 years or so.

It's been fun playing with PCs, lot better than a standard gaming console(PS3/XBox360/Wii). Will be a PC gamer till they pull a G15 and G9 from my dead hands...........

Well, maybe he's spending time building/playing as opposed to trolling forums and coming up with snide remarks. :rolleyes: I build a half-dozen machines per year, too, but it's tough to keep up with everything....especially with NV's naming/renaming system.

You make a solid argument. I'll back down.

Back