Need New Build Advice For Ultimate Desktop - Unlimited Budget

vedo

n00b
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, but not new to the internet world. I am a full time internet marketer / advertiser and I spend most of my days on my computer. My current set up is a 3 monitor display running intel i7 with around 8 gb of ram and 1 tb of storage. For my business I need to run quite a few virtual machines and right now my computer freezes when Im only using two. I am going to need as many virtual machines as possible being run, I'd like to be able to run over 10 at the same time without any glitches or hiccups and probably even more in the future.

Money is not an issue as this is my business and I am willing to buy the best graphics / motherboard there is, for the most part as long as the speed / benefits are justified.

I went to ibuypower.com and set up a computer that I was thinking of buying, the total was around 7k and I did do my research and ended up getting the best parts as far as I know. Any critique, pointers, or advice would be great here. And yes I do realize I can buy the parts myself and probably build it myself, its just not really my thing and I dont mind paying the extra bucks for a professional to do it.

Here are the total specs for it:

Big Saving X79
1 x Case ( NZXT Phantom 630 Full Tower Gaming Case - White )
0 x Case Lighting ( None )
1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( Basic - iBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System - Reduce System Noise )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7 4960X Processor (6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 4960X )
1 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade )
1 x Memory ( 64 GB [8 GB x8] DDR3-1866 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan - 6GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards) )
1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE Game Download] - Final Fantasy XIV: ARR - Free with purchase of any Intel 4th Generation Processor )
1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE Game Download] - GRID2 - FREE with Intel 4th Gen Processor )
1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE Game Coupon] - Batman: Arkham Origins - Free w/ purchase of GeForce GTX 660 or above )
1 x Motherboard ( ASRock X79 Extreme11 -- 7x PCI-E x16, 10x SATA 6Gb/s, and 2x Gb LAN )
1 x Power Supply ( 1500 Watt - EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 512 GB ADATA SX900 SSD - Dual 512GB Drives (1TB Capacity) - RAID 0 High Performance )
1 x Data Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24x Dual Format Combo Drive -- Free Upgrade to LG Blu-ray Reader Combo Drive - Black )
0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )
1 x Meter Display ( AeroCool V12XT Touch Screen Fan, Temperature Control & HDD Working Display )
1 x Sound Card ( ASUS Xonar DSX -- 7.1 Channels, 192kHz/24-bit )
1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Professional + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-bit )
1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard )
1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse )
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
0 x Speaker System ( None )
0 x Video Camera ( None )
0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )
1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )
1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

My answers:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Running 10+ virtual machines, managing networks / accounts, and some gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? 5k-10k
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible. US / Michigan
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? Desktop
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Nope
6) Will you be overclocking? Yes - 20%
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it? I have 3 dell 23 inches
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? 6-9 monitor display , lots of ram, maybe more than 64gb
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? windows 7 64 bit

So in conclusion, should I be buying from ibuypower.com? Is there another site that can get me a better deal and are more reputable perhaps? Should I be getting something else or did I forget something?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

So in conclusion, should I be buying from ibuypower.com?

http://pcpartpicker.com/ Is a good starting point as it connects you to more than one retailer.

Some of these retailers have price match (such as www.ncix.com) which simply requires you to place the part link you found cheaper at another site and they usually match it at the very least, and they have premium service to setup and test your entire system prior to delivery.

So ultimately stay away from ibuypower in my honest opinion. They offer good service and unlikely you will have problems with their parts, but they are crazy overpriced, specially when you are buying an entire rig.

Last edited:
Do you not know how to build your own computer?

That iBuyPower system is iBuyOverkill for your needs.

You shouldn't spend $7,000 on that build when you can get what you need for around (if not less than) half of that:

$560 - Intel Core i7-4930K
$87 - Corsair H80i
$310 - Asus Sabertooth X79
$290 - G.Skill Ares 4x8GB DDR3 1866
$660 - MSI N780 TF 3GD5/OC GTX 780 3GB
$680 - Two Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs
$120 - Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD
$58 - Pioneer BDR-208DBK BD/CD/DVD burner (OEM)
$295 - Corsair 600T and Corsair HX850 combo
$139 - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM
=====
$3199 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

You don't need an Extreme Edition processor. The i7-4930K can reach over 4GHz just as easily for a fraction of the cost. (I even upgraded the CPU cooler to aid you in overclocking.)

Do you really need 64GB of RAM? Even if you allocate 2GB per VM, you'd have plenty of leftover RAM for the main system.

Why do you need a Blu-ray drive? Hell, for the money, why not get a Blu-ray burner?

Are you a hardcore gamer? Do you have to max out everything on all three monitors? If you only game on one monitor, the GTX 780 is more than enough.

No, you don't need a 1500 watt power supply.

Do you really need a standalone sound card? More than one Gigabit Ethernet port? A multi-card reader?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the replies guys! I know they are charging me a lot more than I should be paying, but I dont know how to build my own computer, let alone from scratch. I know how to install a graphics card or add extra ram, thats not hard but to get the motherboard all hooked up and put the parts in sounds like too much for me.

I do plan on gaming on it and want to run the game on all 3 monitors, i havent ever done it so not sure if i will like it as opposed to just one screen. I also want to play games in the max graphical settings with no lag at all.

As for the virtual machines I want to be able to have 10 of them or so running at once. And the extra ram isnt that pricey for me so might as well get 64gb.

I do need to read sd cards and memory / usb sticks. Sound card meh but one of my friends told me to get it.

Ok you need to stop right here. 10 VM's? Hopefully you plan on running those VM's on the SSD and not the spinning disk. 10 VM's will run like a heaping pile of shit on a single 1TB drive. A SSD should be able to manage it, but you probably won't want the contention if you plan on gaming with this thing as well. If the VM's will just be on and off when you want that's one thing, but if you're planning on 10 VM's concurrent 24/7? Get a dedicated system for that setup (ESXi/Hyper-V).

Yeah I was planning on getting dual 520 gb SSD's which should be more than enough. And the VM's wont be running all the time, just when Im working. Then ofcourse I will disable them if I want to play a game or something so.

I would build it myself but not sure where the liquid cooling tubes , fans , radiators , insulation and all that stuff work. I could probably connect the major parts together but want it to be optimal and done right you know? Maybe a local place here can put all the parts together for me instead for a few hundred?

Yeah I was planning on getting dual 520 gb SSD's which should be more than enough. And the VM's wont be running all the time, just when Im working. Then ofcourse I will disable them if I want to play a game or something so.

I would build it myself but not sure where the liquid cooling tubes , fans , radiators , insulation and all that stuff work. I could probably connect the major parts together but want it to be optimal and done right you know? Maybe a local place here can put all the parts together for me instead for a few hundred?

If you've got the cash to burn, do what you want. There's nothing wrong with having a company do it for you. Typically the final product will be cleaner anyway.

You may also want to check out these guys:
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

I think their prices are pretty good.

Back to the VM's, yeah, you should be ok in that case.

Regardless of what vendor you choose, make the build look as close as possible to Tiraides' build except just double the RAM. I would recommend looking at Puget Systems or Maingear or Digital Storm Online if you want a well-built PC. Yes those places do cost more but the phrase "you're getting what you're paying for" applies to your original vendor choice.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back